Misdemeanor question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

silver02ex

I did a search on this subject and wanted to get something clear up. in the next few months I plan on applying for different airilnes. in 2001 (5 years ago) I was convicted of a 3rd class misdemeanor. My friends and i beat up a mail box after high school graduation. I recieved 24 months probation and community service. From my understanding I cannot work for an airline unless I have a SIDA badge, but right now I'm flying for a 135 outfit that has a secure badge that we wear. I plan bringing up the truth about this during the inteview if asked. This company I work for doesn't seem to care about it, i was just wondering how does most airline feel about it? will I get turned down for a job right away because of this?

I wouldn't sweat it. You just graduated high school; by definition, you were just a dumb kid. Provided that your last 5 years were clear, I can't see any reason why it would be a problem.

The fact that you're working for a 135 operator should help.

If it was a felony, you'd probably be screwed. (Although I knew of more than one guy at one of my previous jobs with a felony records, and that was a 121 op.) Then I'd say apply at TSA. They hire all kinds of criminals and hooligans over there.

I wouldnt worry about that either dude. Here is the sad thing....you get nailed for roughing up a mailbox.....and get penalized for doing so. Illegal immigrants run rampant on our streets, breaking our laws and not a thing happens to them. Our system is so screwed up.

Two years probation for that??? Did you have any priors? There has GOT to more to it than just wrecking a mailbox.

If not, then the judge really threw the book at you and/or you had $hitty representation.

In any event, answer the questions on the application truthfully, and discuss it if it comes up during the face-to-face interview if you get one. That's all you can do at this point.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it, as it's something that you have absolutely NO control over at this point in your life.

ultrarunner said:
Two years probation for that??? Did you have any priors? There has GOT to more to it than just wrecking a mailbox.

If not, then the judge really threw the book at you and/or you had $hitty representation.

In any event, answer the questions on the application truthfully, and discuss it if it comes up during the face-to-face interview if you get one. That's all you can do at this point.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it, as it's something that you have absolutely NO control over at this point in your life.

No priors. Just like you guys guess it, it was after high school graduation and some of us did some dumb things before going off to college. After I left that summer i have not had any traffic vioation or convictions. I've been good since that incident. What happened was 4 of my friends drove around, 2 of us had a few drinks and we stopped and just hit a mail box with a bat. Someone in the house saw us and called the police. We were pulled over a few miles down. They asked to search the car, and we agreed, they found the bat and pulled us to the side one by one and asked about it. We all confess. They gave us a citation to appear in court, we pleded guilty. The judge said, that if we wrote him a letter in one year to request it to be taken off our record he would remove it (There was nothing in writing about this). By that time there was a new judge and he would not remove it. So i'm stuck with it on my record. So from the sound of it it doesn't seem as bad as other crimes. Thanks for the reply guys.

Maybe they can issue you a SIDA badge with restrictions.

Ie. Maintain at least 500 ft separation from all postal depositories.

I'd say don't worry about it. As long as you're forthcoming about it at an interview, then it shouldn't be a problem. As far as the SIDA thing is concerned, I doubt it will have an effect. When I was working the ramp, there was a guy working with us that had a felony evading charge in his past......

If that's your only history (ie no other arrests or convictions) it would probably fall under the young & stupid classification.

Most airlines have a bunch of forms posted online for applicants to fill out. One of these is the federal criminal background form which lists all of the disqualifying crimes for airline workers. I don't think mailbox abuse is on the list, but check and see...if your crime is not listed, then you should be able to get by with an honest explantion of what happened and what you learned.

If your crime is on that list, then you have to wait 10 years I think.

Latest resources

Back