• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Miracle on the Hudson: brought to you by Union workers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Participation doesn't pay the bills and since this is a job for pilots, yes... It's about money and what is right.

First off there is nothing more powerful than a majority percentage of a pilot group acting in concert.. whether it is voter percentages, picketing, striking, ALPA-PAC, etc... participation numbers speak louder than dollars....

Second, what is right for you and for me can be and is often different... for some Age 65 is right, for others Age 60 is right...

Only when we participate, work together, understand compromise do we succeed...

Perfect example: I earn a little over 5 hours of credit per day. Why then does it take 7 days of vacation pay to equal 4 days off of work? Whoever thought up that idea and recommended to the pilots that we take it shouldn't be allowed to represent the profession. That deal, without question, wasn't in the best interest of the pilots.

Perhaps you negotiating committee isn't that good. Perhaps they traded it for something more important...

In my opinion, ALPA needs to change it's vision and do what they were voted in to do and that is to represent the pilots and their wishes.

What were they told to do? When I was a rep and went to the BOD, I asked what my pilots wanted... I got zero reply...

35% voter participation
14% ALPA-PAC participation
5% LEC meeting voter turnout...

Take a stand with the pilots if that's what it takes. Be THE voice for the pilots and quit negotiating with us.

What happened to your money argument...

Fact is pilots don't vote, don't communicate and then complain that ALPA doesn't adhere to the will of the pilots..... Is there something wrong here?

No, if ALPA policy was DOH and binding arbitration ment, "binding" then ALPA would be at US Air.

Not true. ALPA's practice of outsourcing SLI certainly resulted in the CBA election, but it was ALPA's repeated obstruction of the pilot vote that got them tossed. ALPA obstructed the CLT pilot's right to recall their reps, and ALPA forcefully removed the PHL reps without a vote, weeks before the election.

Just weeks before the election ALPA proved once again they would obstruct the right of the pilots to vote--in the same way they had taken our pension without a vote.

After ALPA's repeated obstruction of the pilot's right to vote there was no way in he!! we would vote to continue that abuse of power. IF they had pretended to behave right before the election then they would have probably won.

Not true. ALPA's practice of outsourcing SLI certainly resulted in the CBA election, but it was ALPA's repeated obstruction of the pilot vote that got them tossed. ALPA obstructed the CLT pilot's right to recall their reps, and ALPA forcefully removed the PHL reps without a vote, weeks before the election.

Just weeks before the election ALPA proved once again they would obstruct the right of the pilots to vote--in the same way they had taken our pension without a vote.

After ALPA's repeated obstruction of the pilot's right to vote there was no way in he!! we would vote to continue that abuse of power. IF they had pretended to behave right before the election then they would have probably won.

Said East Reps were using ALPA resources to actively solicit in house representation...

Similiar to a US Congressman using tax dollars to create a new gov't.

Why you guys left ALPA is clear... this was all about you and your Nic award....that you agreed to and then sandbagged on.... of course it ALPA's fault... all the bullsh t that came with it is icing on the cake....

Said East Reps were using ALPA resources to actively solicit in house representation...

Similiar to a US Congressman using tax dollars to create a new gov't.

Why you guys left ALPA is clear... this was all about you and your Nic award....that you agreed to and then sandbagged on.... of course it ALPA's fault... all the bullsh t that came with it is icing on the cake....

Well that was quick....You started this thread by claiming this miracle on the Hudson was "brought to you by unions"...which includes USAPA....Now you are back to bashing USAPA....

Turtle,

You guys did get to vote. You voted in your reps, who in turn elected your merger/negotiating committees. Is that not correct?? Also, did those elected persons agree to binding arbitration?? Then after being told doh was doa, your elected reps either were delusional or afraid of the rank and file and chose not to budge. Again you were warned doh was not going to happen. While I understand the easts anger after years of stagnation and backwards movement YOU agreed to binding arbitration. You have lost all respect from your industry peers and somehow you blame ALPA for this.

Turtle,

You guys did get to vote. You voted in your reps, who in turn elected your merger/negotiating committees. Is that not correct?? Also, did those elected persons agree to binding arbitration?? Then after being told doh was doa, your elected reps either were delusional or afraid of the rank and file and chose not to budge. Again you were warned doh was not going to happen. While I understand the easts anger after years of stagnation and backwards movement YOU agreed to binding arbitration. You have lost all respect from your industry peers and somehow you blame ALPA for this.

Its useless to try to explain it to these (east hole) guys. They've been lied to and screwed over by their own lunion eadership for so many years, they can't tell who's telling the truth.

You have lost all respect from your industry peers and somehow you blame ALPA for this.
If industry peers are going to be THAT quick to judge (especially when they're not standing in the shoes of an "east-hole") is that "respect" really worth going after?

If industry peers are going to be THAT quick to judge (especially when they're not standing in the shoes of an "east-hole") is that "respect" really worth going after?

Good question....

Would you rather have money or respect?

Not judging, just stating facts. They agreed to binding arbitration knowing the ALPA merger guidelines with another fellow ALPA pilot group. They were warned multiple times that doh was not going to happen. Doh was a total windfall for the east due to the disparity in hiring trends btw the two airlines. Imho, had the east been willing to compromise some they might have had a chance at a ratioed list that gave some credit for their longevity. Btw, I never used the term east-hole.

Latest resources

Back