• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Military to airline question?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A wise guy!? I could care less about the starting pay... just want to do something that I have thought would be neat. For the love of flying

And the industry sinks lower and lower

Thought Reserves?

Kow,
I know reserve C-9 and 737 units are having tough time picking up their quotas at the latest boards. VR-56 in Norfolk has a board this week and I know picked up some helo bubbas in the last few boards. It's definitely a cheaper alternative flying sought after multi-engine heavy jet time. Good luck.

As a former helo guy who got on with Comair during the last hiring boom, I would say apply with them. They're helo friendly as far as total time goes, and if you have the 200 ME FW required, you almost sure to get hired since they're are getting at least 35 new airframes within the next 2 years. That's some 350 pilots... plus! I will tell you, many of us here have helo backgrounds (including management), so you have a bit of an edge here. APPLY ASAP!

P.S.
New crew bases are opening soon in JFK, GSO, MCO as well as the main base in CVG.......

Have you looked at the T-6 at Vance AFB thing? They take lots of Navy rotary guys...I just left an assignment there. Lot's of H-3 and CH-46 guys...

You can get close to 1200 hrs in three years if you push it up, all fixed wing turbo-prop.

It's an active duty gig....all they Navy guys there were loving it.

Good luck.

Military helo to civilian airplane transition

mudkow60 said:
I am a Navy helo guy with a fixed wing commercial rating and mulit-VFR only. I am thinking of taking a BIG step and trying my hand at the airlines (if I do not get picked up for the Navy or Air Force jobs I have applied for). Question- what is a good school, in the Phoenix / Scottsdale area where I can become competitive to land and pass and interview for the airlines?
For one thing, you need to add instrument privileges to your multi. Although I love good 141 training and have recommended MAPD innumerable times, you should not buy an interview from PACE. I'd also stay away from expensive Pan Am compulsory RJ sim training. You can add instrument privileges to your multi very easily and for less money under Part 61. All you'd need to do is shoot an all-engines-operating approach and an engine-inop approach. Check out SDL, DVT, etc., for training.

Even better, pursue one of the military flying opportunities recommended above. Aside from gaining experience the airlines want, and being a military pilot, military flying units offer great networking opportunities. If you could get one of the 737 gigs and get typed, you'd be set for SWA in no time.

Good luck with however you proceed. Thanks for serving us.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. I guess I will have to see what happens on next week's TAR (FTS) board. Otherwise, I am shopping for a Reserve slot and looking for a good way into the airlines.

Thanks all.

Hi!

First of all, if you're a military guy, and especially helo, go to www.aptap.org. That is, "Army Pilot To Airline Pilot", and they specialize in helping helo guys get fixed-wing jobs (& helo jobs). There is a TON of info there.

Trans States Airlines, Comair, ASA and USA Jet Airlines are all very helo friendly. I know there are more, also. U can find info on all of them at aptap.

Good luck!

Cliff
YIP

Thanks... what is usually the min fixed wing ME time required? I just looked at Mesa, and they require 100 hours ME time. I just talked to an ex Navy guy who flys for a scenic airline in Vegas. He was very helpful, and said I could possibly get hired with them (if I got my ATP) and build up some ME turbine time there. It sounds like a cool gig. That might be the route I go to build up some time.

Matt

Multi times

Trans States Airlines, Comair, ASA and USA Jet Airlines are all very helo friendly . . .
(emphasis added)

To that end, you might drop a PM to our member, pilotyip. He deals with hiring at USA Jet.

These days, typical required multi times for the regionals are as low as perhaps 100-200 for ExpressJets on up. Realistically, you probably need 500 of multi to be competitive. Your military helo experience may trump part of that, but you will still need to present some fixed-wing multi time.

Being in Phoenix might help you with Mesa. Something else you might consider if you're getting out is getting your CFI and talking to the people at ATCA in Goodyear about an instructing job. Being military, you might be what they want and it would be a great, decent-paying opportunity to build fixed-wing time.

Once again, don't waste your money at Pan Am. Hope that helps some more.

Latest resources

Back