Military to airline question?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another one bites the dust.

Here's a thought. A buddy of mine who was a Marine helo guy, also a T-34 IP, went out and bought a twin comanche, and just took cross-countries on the weekend with his other helo bubbas, who would pay him for some time as well. His buddies helped pay for the gas and he ended up with a bunch of multi-time, and got hired by a regional. He then sold the plane for nearly what he paid. A lot cheaper than donating your money to those thieves out there. But if PilotYIP is true to his word, he should hire you without all that multi-time (or at least give ya a good look). What say you, YIP?

Career pilot tax deductions

mudkow60 said:
I am active Navy, so I am pretty current on my instrument stuff. Just being able to be in front of the airplane (multi) will be the difficulty for me. Looking forward to doing it (but not to spending the money to get it). Oh well, it is worth it (or so I hear).
All this should be tax-deductable on your 2005 tax return, by the way.

Something else I am thinking of... someone on this site (also ex-Navy) works for an airline in Vegas that flys twin Otters around the canyon(s). He has been really helpful, and he thinks he can get me hired if I get an ATP, and then I could fly a lot. Sounds like a cool deal to me... That is my favorite area in the country.

For a while, money is not a concern, because I will sell my condo here in FL and make a lot of cash (I hope).

HUGH- as expected, there were LOTS of hotties at The Commander's pre wedding party and at the wedding. Met some other P-3 bubbas. They almost could drink like a helo bubba. His new wife is really cool.

Expense-sharing and getting hired

Hugh Jorgan said:
A buddy of mine who was a Marine helo guy, also a T-34 IP, went out and bought a twin comanche, and just took cross-countries on the weekend with his other helo bubbas, who would pay him for some time as well. His buddies helped pay for the gas and he ended up with a bunch of multi-time, and got hired by a regional. He then sold the plane for nearly what he paid. A lot cheaper than donating your money to those thieves out there.
The only caveats here would be the sharing-expenses provisions of 14 CFR 61.113 and commercial piloting holding-out provisions of 14 CFR 61.133 and elsewhere.
But if PilotYIP is true to his word, he should hire you without all that multi-time (or at least give ya a good look). What say you, YIP?
You'd think. Yip always emphasizes the whole-person hiring concept as opposed to other,more tangible credentials.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back