Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Read up on the FAQ at the ESGR website.
In short they cannot tell you no.
They can request written confirmation (orders) be provided. You are only required to verbally notify before hand. Written confirmation after the fact is acceptable.

For you SWA guys, you have a Military affairs rep at SWAPA who works to resolve this kind of thing before it becomes an issue. The SWAPA Mil rep is also a member of the Southwest Unions Military Affairs Committee (SUMAC) which is made up of reps from all the unions to work directly with Senior Management to assist the Guard and Reserve members. The Military Leave Guide is the result of the work of these folks. Take a minute to read it. It's under the "about me" tab on SWALife

I took this to mean, "you'd better not be pretending to have even one more day of military duty than your orders can prove."

Actually they encourage you to meet all crew rest requirements for both the military and the airline which usually fall outside the dates on your orders/drills. Check the article in the latest Reporting Point for the specifics.

I've never had any issues, the CP's in BWI have been great to work with.

I heard that a BWI FO at SWA just got fired for taking too much mil leave. It's going to get ugly for SWA if that's true.

If a FO got fired, I'd bet it was for something else. The CP's know the USERRA as well as I do (and I had to sit through four hours of a JAG who helped write the law going through the finer points of it once). I've blocked military time off most months for the last three years and have never had an issue.

That said, we have had quite a few reminders of the proper procedures for taking military leave lately.

Like T1bubba said, SWA has become a bit more unfriendly about Mil Leave lately. I personally think they ought to take the case up with Bush/ Rumsfeld about their excessive use of the Reserve force while downsizing the active duty, but I digress. If the pilot in question reads this forum, please p.m. me.

Like T1bubba said, SWA has become a bit more unfriendly about Mil Leave lately. I personally think they ought to take the case up with Bush/ Rumsfeld about their excessive use of the Reserve force while downsizing the active duty, but I digress. If the pilot in question reads this forum, please p.m. me.

I personally think mil guys should serve their country via the orders our commander in chief gives us and SWA should honor that without any question whatsoever, but I digress.

Oh, by the way, nice little jab at the President of the US and our Sec of Defense...unfortunately the guy that started this thread doesn't care about your liberal views. I'll let you put down your "Hillary for '08" poster so you can respond.

Latest resources

Back