• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Miliraty Leave

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the key is to be smart about it. If I wanted to, I could take off lots of time from JB to work for the Navy under orders, get paid more and have the benefits of both sides. However, I did not get hired to be a part time pilot. I have a committment to be available for JB just as I have to be available for my Navy squadron. If we start taking too much advantage of the rules and not putting in enough hours at our companies, we're going to hurt our fellow mil folks trying to get hired down the road becasue we'll have the reputation of not be available to work. Call that discrimination, but we could be setting ourselves up for it.

Oh, by the way, nice little jab at the President of the US and our Sec of Defense...unfortunately the guy that started this thread doesn't care about your liberal views. I'll let you put down your "Hillary for '08" poster so you can respond.

Im a conservative in the USAFR and I didnt think his post a jab...hell I AGREE...I was mobilized while the stop loss was lifted in 02 and the AD unit I was associated with let folks out to go to JetBlue, SWA, Tybrin, etc.....while I went and fought in the Stans.....But I digress.
And since his profile states that he flew StarLizards I think he has a right to say that...

Last edited:
That C-141 is one uuuugly airplane - not a beautimous piece of engineering like the mighty P-3 Orion.

Last edited:
I heard that a BWI FO at SWA just got fired for taking too much mil leave. It's going to get ugly for SWA if that's true.

No way it was because of MIL leave. Maybe if he was leaving and not there at all, then lied about it. Hell, we can't get rid of a capt who was caught not flying above FL280 because she was concerned about skin cancer. Happened mulitple times. Not to mention multiple, multiple, multiple over issues with the individual. Can't get into the other stories here but it really is embarrasing from the other stories I have heard. To put it nicely, unbelievable. Mil leave issues are more sensitive than this and I can't imagine someone fired for it.

Hell, we can't get rid of a capt who was caught not flying above FL280 because she was concerned about skin cancer. Happened mulitple times. Not to mention multiple, multiple, multiple over issues with the individual.

Was she once based in HOU...and now in DAL?

Tejas

After doing some more research it turns out that SWA did fire a probationary pilot who is a drilling reservist for reasons "unrelated to his military service", although he had been counseled about taking too much military leave. Since the pilot is on probation the union can't directly represent him but they are doing what they can.

I suspect the ESGR lawyers will be involved shortly, and hopefully the pilot will have his job back very soon.

T1

As the senior TG in my unit I've had a little conversation with a SWA regional CP. I think the situation has since been 100% resolved with no more follow up issues. His concern was "why do YOU have to be there several times a month...many of our reservists only miss ONE trip per month..."

I took some time out of my busy day to explain various currencies....LASDT, Night Squares, AAR, etc etc. and how you have to be available when the training is available. I also explained in a figher unit being there for Friday meetings is highly encouraged every week...but we LET him slide 2/4 weeks. Once we had our conversation the situation has changed. However--I did feel like my pilot was getting some "pressure" prior to our conversation. Good news is since then everyone has been playing nice.

Having 2 loyalties is tough. However--airlines are business and will let you go during a downturn. My liscense plate says "National Guard". My kids are proud I serve and tell their teachers their daddy helps keep them safe. I thank God every day for my employer, but I thank him even more for my Country. Until you've tried to hold down two jobs and keep everyone happy (hint: you can't...), you don't know the pressure.

Latest resources

Back