• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Miliraty Leave

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You would think being a military guy would be a good thing. I had the opportunity to talk to KD (CAL). He asked more questions about my military obligations than anything else. Haven't heard good things concerning CAL and military leave either.

We've had a few Golden Nugs or whatever their called trying to take mil leave during IOE. Wonder how many guys want their jobs? :) The problem is that some of the guys abuse the mil leave. That makes it tough on everyone else trying to do what's right.

Past...

Fired for taking military leave

You would think being a military guy would be a good thing. I had the opportunity to talk to KD (CAL). He asked more questions about my military obligations than anything else. Haven't heard good things concerning CAL and military leave either.

According to USRRA employers are not allowed to ask about your military obligations during an interview. Notice for taking mil leave should be timely, but can be written OR verbal. There is no length of time you must stay with an employer before you can take military leave. You can take it day one if you want...the USERRA actually states that there is no difference between Involuntary or Voluntary military service.
CAL fired me for taking mil leave and has said I "lied" by not giving them timely notice even thought I let them know as soon as I was sure I elected to take mil leave after budgeting had approved funding for my orders. I also told them prior to my training that my military leave was a good possibility. I have filed a complaint with him DOL online complaint system. It now rests with the Attorney General's office.
http://www.dol.gov/elaws/userra.htm
I encourage anyone who is getting hassled by their airline to file a complaint. Ant to call your Senator...since they have a vested interest in the citezen soldiers of their state.
There has been many firing and discrimination cases against guard and reservists where the employer attempts to use another reason as a subterfuge for termination to avoid ramifications of violating the USERRA. Many reservists are afraid to take military leave for fear of "retaliation" from the CP. This is also against USERRA law. There are many case precedents that clearly show these actions as illegal...you don't have to be a lawyer to understand them.
http://www.dol.gov/vets/regs/fedreg/final/2005023961.pdf
If you have been fired, harassed, questioned or retaliated against for taking or asking to take mil leave...pm me and I may be able to help you.

Latest resources

Back