• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest has more than one foot in the ground

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You think mainline pilots are selfish because we want to fly the same aircraft for twice as much. Management loves it that we fight with each other instead of with them. They use us against each other.

No one thinks that you are selfish because you want a good wage for the 70+ seat airplane. We think that mainline pilots (senior ones) are selfish because they voted away the futures of regional pilots by relaxing scope in order to get a bigger pay check.

We would all be thrilled if the 170/175 was at mainline and had a $50-$160/hr pay range from day one to year 12. We would love to leave the regionals behind. The only reason we fly these planes here at our regional abusers is because mainline pilots gave them away.

I do think it is selfish to give something away, and then change your mind and take it back. We regional pilots have had to build our lives and livelihoods around these larger airplanes. To take them back now (and leave the pilots behind) would devastate the lives of thousands of families. And you only want these planes back because now you have thousands on furlough. Yes, everyone can claim hurt to families. But, mainline pilots chose this hurt for their own people when they relaxed scope. We did not ask to be left jobless.

Not to mention, mainline does not have a great track record with compensation for E170-E190 pilots. MidAtlantic was a B-scale airline, the pay scale mimicking a regional as determined by mainline pilots who had eyes for their own paycheck only. Now mainline USAirways still pays less than $100/hr for the E190. RAH pay goes up to $119/hr for the smaller E-175. JetBlue does not have these heroic pay rates you threaten, either. Sure, Delta has a good payrate for the E-jets, but that is purely theoretical. There are no E-jets at Delta mainline, and Delta management is going to keep it that way.

No one thinks that you are selfish because you want a good wage for the 70+ seat airplane. We think that mainline pilots (senior ones) are selfish because they voted away the futures of regional pilots by relaxing scope in order to get a bigger pay check.

We would all be thrilled if the 170/175 was at mainline and had a $50-$160/hr pay range from day one to year 12. We would love to leave the regionals behind. The only reason we fly these planes here at our regional abusers is because mainline pilots gave them away.

I do think it is selfish to give something away, and then change your mind and take it back. We regional pilots have had to build our lives and livelihoods around these larger airplanes. To take them back now (and leave the pilots behind) would devastate the lives of thousands of families. And you only want these planes back because now you have thousands on furlough. Yes, everyone can claim hurt to families. But, mainline pilots chose this hurt for their own people when they relaxed scope. We did not ask to be left jobless.

Not to mention, mainline does not have a great track record with compensation for E170-E190 pilots. MidAtlantic was a B-scale airline, the pay scale mimicking a regional as determined by mainline pilots who had eyes for their own paycheck only. Now mainline USAirways still pays less than $100/hr for the E190. RAH pay goes up to $119/hr for the smaller E-175. JetBlue does not have these heroic pay rates you threaten, either. Sure, Delta has a good payrate for the E-jets, but that is purely theoretical. There are no E-jets at Delta mainline, and Delta management is going to keep it that way.

Republic pays $119/hour for the smaller 175 and 190's if you ever get them. Republic maxes its first officers out at $37/hour. Every single US Airways' captain is making the maximum. If you average out the Republic captains, it probably comes out to around $75/hour. I'm being generous. In reality, it's probably lower than that. There are many lifers at Republic that will never see more than $100/hour. You guys will take paycuts eventually just like Expressjet, Air Wisconsin, Comair, Mesaba, etc. At Midwest, there were first officers making $100/hour and captains making $150/hour. There is a reason why they are pissed about being replaced. Republic is a disgrace. I know you want to be proud of it because you work there, but in reality, it is a thriving company that treats and pays its pilots well below industry standard. No work rules, no contract in sight.....you get the idea.

Yeah.....keep polishing that turd...

As an Midwest furloughee, I have no faith and this is perhaps the final nail in the coffin...

Southwest Airlines to fly out of Milwaukee

By Tom Daykin of the Journal Sentinel
Posted: May. 20, 2009 10:12 a.m.
Southwest Airlines, the nation's largest low-fare carrier, plans to begin flying out of Milwaukee's Mitchell International Airport later this year, the company is to announce Wednesday.
Southwest's entry into Milwaukee will likely bring more choices, and lower ticket prices, for area fliers. It also brings another formidable competitor for Midwest Airlines, Delta Air Lines, AirTran Airways and other carriers that fly from Mitchell.
The announcement is expected at Dallas-based Southwest's annual shareholders meeting. This story will be updated when more information becomes available.
One industry source said Southwest would probably offer non-stop flights to leisure destinations such as Las Vegas, Phoenix and Orlando, Fla. Midwest, Mitchell's largest carrier, cut back on flights to those cities, and other Florida leisure destinations, when it announced a 40% service reduction last year.
Midwest Airlines/Midwest Connect remains Mitchell's No. 1 carrier, with a 35.1% market share in March, according to airport data. Delta, which is integrating Northwest Airlines into its system, is No. 2, with 22.6% share. AirTran, another low-fare carrier, is No. 3, with 19.8% share.
A customer satisfaction survey, released Tuesday by the University of Michigan, rated Southwest with the highest score, 81 on a zero-to-100 scale. After Southwest, Continental Airlines Inc. scored 68, Delta, 64, American Airlines, 60, US Airways, 59, Northwest, 57, and United Airlines, 56.

"...A customer satisfaction survey, released Tuesday by the University of Michigan, rated Southwest with the highest score, 81 on a zero-to-100 scale. After Southwest, Continental Airlines Inc. scored 68, Delta, 64, American Airlines, 60, US Airways, 59, Northwest, 57, and United Airlines, 56."

Wow! Talk about a race to the bottom! No wonder Legacies are getting their heads handed to them by the LCC's!

It's over, the fat lady has sung. It was a nice run, but see ya'. I just can't believe the idiots on Howell did this to a once great company with what had been a promising future.

It's over, the fat lady has sung....

She sure has Zephyr!

I'll tell ya though, I live in AirTran/SWA market...and I LIKE IT! I suspect the folks of MKE won't shed to many a tear when MEH closes up...other than the employees that made it all happen over the years...those that are left anyway.

It's over, the fat lady has sung. It was a nice run, but see ya'. I just can't believe the idiots on Howell did this to a once great company with what had been a promising future.

It's hard to believe TPG left TH running the joint. HE's the one that brought the company to its predicament. I mean seriously, what did they expect from that mgmt team?

This isn't going to help AirTran any either. The LCC's are running out of places to compete with the legacy carriers and they are now starting to compete with each other. Southwest seems to be going everywhere lately with a few flights rather than really developing some of the newer cities. If they aren't growing I wonder where the airplanes to serve MKE will come from?

Latest resources

Back