• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest has more than one foot in the ground

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What gets me is that when SKYWAY was losing their jobs to skywest. The Midex pilots said they would be behind them.... HOW DID THAT WORK OUT?
Even though skyway was a "connection" carrier they were still an owen division of the airline. But who gave a ******************** about them?
Karma is a biatch.

And also to all the midwest guys that write about regionals in the newspapers, saying they are unsafe.

Remember midwest too had a crash that was "pilot error".

Everyone just needs to grow up, cut this blame game crap out and stand behind one another!

No... Thats accident was the result of an uncontained compressor turbine failure that schredded all the cables to the associated side elevator.

There was nothing the flight crew could have done to save the aircraft being that it happened below 1000ft AGL.....Get your facts straight A$$HOLE.

And compared to Repubelick, Midwest was a legacy carrier... 8

No... Thats accident was the result of an uncontained compressor turbine failure that schredded all the cables to the associated side elevator.

There was nothing the flight crew could have done to save the aircraft being that it happened below 1000ft AGL.....Get your facts straight A$$HOLE.

And compared to Repubelick, Midwest was a legacy carrier... 8
I realize your anger towards Republic Airways, hell even I'm pissed too as a furloughed 717 F/O, but in no way shape or form were we a legacy; we weren't even a major and TH even publicly announced he had no intentions of achieving the $1 billion number. $450 million in a good year was all his bean counters could ask for. We were nothing more than a national carrier and the same for Republic.

I realize your anger towards Republic Airways, hell even I'm pissed too as a furloughed 717 F/O, but in no way shape or form were we a legacy; we weren't even a major and TH even publicly announced he had no intentions of achieving the $1 billion number. $450 million in a good year was all his bean counters could ask for. We were nothing more than a national carrier and the same for Republic.

I meant a legacy in respect to pay/equipment/quality of life/ etc...

Maybe you should get your facts straight....

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19850906-0

Last I checked almost every major has killed someone due to pilot error.

And that is what the FAA uses as the default answer to an inconclusive investigation.

The fact is that while climbing at V2+10 or 165knots, the rate of deceleration to 156 or stall speed was too rapid for the crew/engines to resond no matter who was flying. That combined with the loss of pitch authority from the partially severed/damaged flight controls made it impossible to fly out of. So instead of grounding the entire DC9-10/30 fleet they chose to use the default pilot error ruling. Our pilot group and ALPA have fought with the feds for years regarding the inaccuracy of this particular investigation...

So like I said...get your facts straight.

Last edited:
And that is what the FAA uses as the default answer to an inconclusive investigation.

The fact is that while climbing at V2+10 or 165knots, the rate of deceleration to 156 or stall speed was too rapid for the crew/engines to resond no matter who was flying. That combined with the loss of pitch authority from the partially severed/damaged flight controls made it impossible to fly out of. So instead of grounding the entire DC9-10/30 fleet they chose to use the default pilot error ruling. Our pilot group and ALPA have fought with the feds for years regarding the inaccuracy of this particular investigation...

So like I said...get your facts straight.

Even TH, to his credit, went to bat with the FAA for the deceased crew.

But again, the accident the republic schmo mentions, happened in 1985. Was he even born then?

Those classy 170 pilots with their guppy killer stickers on their flight bags.

The fact is that while climbing at V2+10 or 165knots, the rate of deceleration to 156 or stall speed was too rapid for the crew/engines to resond no matter who was flying. That combined with the loss of pitch authority from the partially severed/damaged flight controls made it impossible to fly out of. So instead of grounding the entire DC9-10/30 fleet they chose to use the default pilot error ruling. Our pilot group and ALPA have fought with the feds for years regarding the inaccuracy of this particular investigation...]

That is an interesting take on that old accidednt. I was sent to the public hearing as an ALPA observer only, since MEH was not ALPA at the time. At that time the gist of the investigation was why did a huge side slip angle develope late in the accident sequence. It semed that either the crew swapped rudder input and applied full right rudder after correctly having applied left rudder during rotation. That question was never answered other than the NTSB guessing that the crew did it. The compressor parts had penetrated and broken through the compressor case at high velocity. Pratt and Whitney mantained that all the parts went to the right of the tail. Yet parts were found on the LEFT side of the take-off runway, 19R. Pratt said that the parts flew so high up that the strong west wind blew them over to the left side of the runway. And yet there were holes in the vertical stabilizer with traces of ferrous metal on them. The only ferrous metal flying around back there were engine parts. I felt that perhaps the rudder control package was what was damaged. None of that was persued by the board. ALPA Safety had no voice at the hearing.
The fact that the engine overhaul agency in MIA had installed an obsolete style spacer which then failed seemed to be more important.
Loss of elevator control authority was not a consideration back then so I cannot comment on that but rudder reversal was a factor. The yaw angle became so great so fast that the left engine compressor stalled so violently that it self-destructed before the airplane hit the ground.

Even TH, to his credit, went to bat with the FAA for the deceased crew.

But again, the accident the republic schmo mentions, happened in 1985. Was he even born then?

Those classy 170 pilots with their guppy killer stickers on their flight bags.

For real!.....guys have guppy killer stickers on their flight bags? I haven't seen this. Seriously low class. If you have this on your flight bag, I wouldn't advertise it....especially if you want a ride somewhere.

For real!.....guys have guppy killer stickers on their flight bags? I haven't seen this. Seriously low class. If you have this on your flight bag, I wouldn't advertise it....especially if you want a ride somewhere.

There was an RAH guy on this website that had an avatar that was basically a picture of an E170 in Midwest colors. Underneath the picture it read "Mad Dog Killer."

I can't remember his name. I think he's since removed it. But some of these guys just don't see the big picture.

He may as well have it read "Mainline Job Killer"

Latest resources

Back