Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

StaySeated

IBT does not represent ME
I am wondering if this will effect the SWA-Airtran SLI negotiations?

The United States District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin recently reversed an earlier decision and found in favor of the IBT.

The Midwest Flight Attendants were arguing that they are entitled to seniority integration pursuant to McCaskill-Bond, the IBT argued that they were not covered.

The court agreed with the IBT based upon the fact that the RAH acquisition of Midwest, according to the court, was not a covered transaction.

"Accordingly, McCaskill-Bond implicitly incorporates the CAB’s corresponding definition of a “merger” as “joint action by the two carriers whereby they unify, consolidate, merge, coordinate or pool in whole or in part their separate airline facilities or any of the operations or services previously
performed by them through such separate facilities.”

So, the FA's get shafted and have to start over as new-hires. I can only imagine what the IBT has in store for the Midwest pilots.

The irony of the situation is the fact that the Midwest pilots just participated in the SLI arbitration. That very arbitration was based upon Section 3 of Allegheny Mowhawk, "the "seniority integration" Labor Protective Provision and the only substantive LPP adopted by McCaskill-Bond."

So the Midwest pilots were covered by A-M and M-B, but the FA's are not? That seems odd.

The only reason I mention SWA-Airtran is leverage. SWAPA just gained some more.

When does the link between "merger" and "acquisition" end?

The IBT argued, successfully in this case, that a "covered transaction" only includes two or more "covered air carriers". They specifically mentioned the fact that RAH, a holding company, acquired Midwest LLC, another holding company. Neither of which are a covered air carrier.

Seems like a complete stretch to me, but at least one court bought it and swallowed the hook.

Thanks man, just when things were calming down a bit...........

I'm guessing 20 pages at a minimum.

Do you have the source link to this ruling? Tried some google searches but came up empty. Thanks.

Last edited:
If the swa-airtran arbitrator gives a $h.t about flight attendant seniority then we are all screwed. who cares!

If the swa-airtran arbitrator gives a $h.t about flight attendant seniority then we are all screwed. who cares!

I think Yoyoma missed the point.

Doesn't matter though, I think this one's a stretch to the point of being pointless.

I think Yoyoma missed the point.

Doesn't matter though, I think this one's a stretch to the point of being pointless.

I wasn't posting specifically about SWA-Airtran, I just thought it was interesting. It is a matter of opinion, but the IBT's argument had nothing to do with the financial condition of Midwest. They specifically argued that holding companies are not covered. I don't think that is a stretch at all, but again it is all just a matter of opinion.

I wasn't posting specifically about SWA-Airtran, I just thought it was interesting. It is a matter of opinion, but the IBT's argument had nothing to do with the financial condition of Midwest. They specifically argued that holding companies are not covered. I don't think that is a stretch at all, but again it is all just a matter of opinion.

No expert here but after reading the ruling the key point that stands out on page four is that RAH was buying the assets of a failing airline and that there would be no duplication of routes because Midwest airplanes would return to Boeing thereby it didn't fit the provisions of merging two operations covered under the protections of AM/BM. This is not like SWA-AAi, but your post does have some merit regarding why the Midwest pilots are covered but not the flight attendants.

So somebody who knows, tell me again what Guadalupe is and how the deal is being structured.

Latest resources

Back