• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest Captain Writes About BUF Colgan Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am not defending Scott, and I am not saying that pilot error is the main cause of the accident, but let's be realistic. If you don't think that they will list the primary cause of the accident as "pilot error" think again. The FAA and the NTSB are under tremendous pressure think "SWA" FAA oversight. They can't put the majority of the blame on the manufacturer, that would ground the fleet, they can't put the majority of the blame on the airline, that could ground the airline until training is accomplished, also the FAA would have to take blame for approving the manuals. They can't blame ATC for not saying severe icing or the government will get sued. I wish that it could be different, but pilot error is the "least risk blame location". I am sure that the pilots were quite capable, but there will be blame placed on them because it is the "easy out". God bless those who parished and thier families. Would it have been a different outcome with more experienced pilots, does it matter, we'll never know. I do agree that there is no substitute for experience, but that doesn't mean that I haven't seen some really lazy 15,000 hour pilots too. I have jump seated on Colgan many times, good people, I wish them all well. Good luck and God's speed to them all.

You can call his letter poorly timed, but did anyone see Capt. Sullenberger's testimony on Capitol Hill today. Also, whoever thought that MKE doesn't see much ice on aircraft hasn't flown there between NOV and MARCH. I only flew there for almost nine years and from the Beech and the Dornier with thier boots to the 717. I saw more ice than I would care to even think about. It gives me the chills and makes me want to call and buy the engineers some frosty beverages. The Beech especially with all that stuff hanging off of it could carry ice like a tank with minimal performance loss.

Every single one of you has lowered the bar for the next generation, so Scott Kaley and all can STFU! You all flew regional planes before the majors. You all sold the regional jet down the drain to the regional carriers. You all sit high and mighty like this industry was perfect when you came aboard, but somehow the guy behind you f'd it all up. Well look again! Unless you were hired by United and they paid for your commercial certificate and training in a 737 the you accepted lower pay, you accepted worse work rules, you surrendered to management. Management outsources to regional because you gave them the ability to. Now all you want to is cry fowl when your lack of foresight backfires.

Scott Kaley wants to point the finger at management, but the problem is us, the pilots. This thread proves it. You all gave it away, then complain when it gone. This didn't happen yesterday, it didn't happen because of pilot factories, it didn't happen because of PFT, in fact all of this happened because of you! PFT, pilot factories, regional jet, low pay, poor work rules are a direct result of every pilot. Take some f' responsibility for your actions. Senior vs. Junior, new hire, CA vs. FO, Regional vs. major. $hit what a f' joke. Unity? HA! We put ourselves here, this is OUR mess. Enjoy it! I know I will for the next 35 years cause I'll be sure to take what I've learned from all of you and screw the next guy junior to me. (and of course I won't forget to blame him!)

Thanks.

eP.

Last edited:
should I be concerned???

According to this guy I guess I should be concerned? You be the judge. He's why.
Starting today and over the next 18 days I have six airline flights scheduled to move me for work. Of those six; one is on mainline Delta, one on ASA, two on Pinnacle, one on Republic and one on Chautauqua.
Sh*t happens and can happen at any time. Hell, it could happen on the drive to the airport. This guy had a valid point if he was trying to mention work condition and pay for ALL pilots. He sure took the wrong track to voice his views. Geez!!!!!

There are a plethora of "mainline" airline accidents that could have been avoided by a 250 hr commercial pilot. Case in point: forgetting to set takeoff flaps.
This is something that grinds my gears: Armchair QB'ing past events and following up with "Even Mr. Johnny-No-Timer could have done THAT!"

Looks like the crap I see over on that airliners website.

It's amazing how these pilot error problems aren't really all that tough once we've had an hour or two in a comfy chair to read over the NTSB report with our coffee.

You make yourself look like the 250Hr wonder pilot you speak of.

I understand the defensiveness here, but please retake Reading 101 - Comprehension and reread what Scott wrote:

I quote

the definition of might:
may 1 - Past tense might (mīt)
  1. To be allowed or permitted to: May I take a swim? Yes, you may.
  2. Used to indicate a certain measure of likelihood or possibility: It may rain this afternoon.
he did not say the pilots were to blame. settle down. his point is against management, not saying colgan's pilots were to blame, using less experienced operators (again reading comprehension). Sully said the same thing today to Congress.
Why, Citation? If the time was taken to read and comprehend that sentence, alot of the knee-jerk pukes would have to keep their mouth shut. What's the fun in that?

When Midex negotiated their contract, they bought something with scope. Now they have buyers remorse.

Comparing US1549 and the Q400 accident is silly and any 25-year 15,000 hour pilot should know better. The outcome of 1549 was as much a result of enough circumstances lining up correctly as the Q400 was a result of enough negative factors lining up.

The least we should learn from both is not to make one guy the hero and the other guy the goat.

Latest resources

Back