Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Thunderchief

Ultra Hog
Delta/NWA looking to or have purchased 717's, rumored to be some from Midwest.

I do NOT have any facts other than rumor in ATL.. Anyone heard any thing similar?

Since credit is so easy to get right now, I thought this was a stretch... :)

-TC

I've heard this rumor, but I just don't see how it would make any sense for DAL. A handful of 717s? What's the point?

I've heard this rumor, but I just don't see how it would make any sense for DAL. A handful of 717s? What's the point?

The new Delta is supposed to be the new Aeroflot, with every type of aircraft on the ramp at once. I hear we are also looking at Yak 42s.(to compete with Airtran to Bloomington, IL only)

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yeah because we could not compete with them with the CL-65. I think it was one of the shortest stints DAL has had in any city.

The 717 if acquired would be part of a much larger deal with multiple types of aircraft. Also of note these airplanes would not be MEH's for obvious reason. Boeing Commercial Finance Corp would be the owner with whom we would lease from. Not MEH.

How many Midwest 717s would be available? I doubt DAL would buy a new aircraft type unless it could get 20-30 aircraft minimum. I am sure there are some good 717 mechanics located in ATL due to Air Tran but I doubt DAL would order a small batch of aircraft. I still think the new DAL would consider either E190s or the new Bombardier C-Series airplane to ultimately replace the Diesel 9s...

Hi!

Why would DAL/NWA do this? Probably because they need more 100 seat aircraft to last them through 2012 when they buy the Bombardier "C".

The -717 is the same type rating as the -9, so the NWA guys would only need difference training. The engines are much more fuel efficient than the -9 engines, and if the planes were cheap enough to acquire, it would make sense (in other words, cheaper than pulling a -9 out of the desert).

cliff
YIP
PS-The 717s are GREAT airplanes from a pilot's point of view. I jumpseated on them quite a bit (MKE-STL-MKE) in the cockpit. They have autothrottles and VNAV, which work together quite well. I would LOVE to fly a -717.

Delta could prevent Airtran from getting more 717s.

Latest resources

Back