• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATA For Now!

Midwest To Ask Pilots, Flight Attendants To Take Cuts

Melissa McCrady

Katie De Long

MILWAUKEE – TODAY’S TMJ4 has learned Midwest executives are calling on two of the airline’s most powerful unions to agree to job cuts and pay cuts for their members.

A source close to the negotiations says that Midwest pilots have been asked to take a 50 percent cut in wages.

Flight attendants have reportedly been asked to take a 30 to 40 percent cut in wages and lay off over 200 members.

Midwest spokesperson Mike Brophy said Tuesday night that he would not comment on the talks, but said that Midwest must make cuts to keep the airline out of bankruptcy. Brophy also said that action must be taken this week.

JUST SAY NO!!!!!!!

just read that Midex is now getting rid of five of the 717's. not sure what this means to the company but you know it can not be good. They say the 717 will help with the high fuel cost so why drop five of them. Is this just more flying for skywest or a slow dismantling of the airline. I lived in WI for years and my commute down to ATL was never better then when I flew on Midex.

Sorry guys hope all works out but not to sure this time.

WEDNESDAY, June 25, 2008, 10:25 a.m.
By Tom Daykin</B>

Midwest cuts to be deeper, pilots say

Midwest Airlines Inc.'s pending route and job cuts will likely be even deeper than initially feared, the head of Midwest's pilots union said today.

Midwest executives are planning to reduce the financially troubled airline's number of jets by nearly half, said Jay Schnedorf, chairman of the Air Line Pilots Association's Midwest chapter. As a result, layoffs at Oak Creek-based Midwest will amount to hundreds of jobs, he said.

Midwest announced last week it will phase out a dozen MD-80 jets used for charter service as well as regular passenger service to leisure destinations and West Coast cities. That would leave Midwest with 25 Boeing 717 jets, which are much more fuel-efficient than the MD-80 jets.

Schnedorf said today that he's received accounts from flight attendants that Midwest executives, in employee meetings, say the company also plans to phase out five of the 25 Boeing 717s. That would reduce the airline's fleet by 46%.

Meanwhile, individual pilots have been told by some managers that the airline's restructuring will likely leave it with around 200 pilots, Schnedorf said. Midwest now has 400 pilots, although that number will be down to around 365 by July, due to a previously announced work force reduction.

That plan to reduce the fleet size by nearly half will bring job cuts for other employees, Schnedorf said, including flight attendants, ground crews and mechanics.

Meanwhile, Midwest management, through an initial presentation to the pilots union, is seeking pay cuts ranging from 45% to 65%, Schnedorf said. Those cuts are not acceptable, he said, and the pilots union continues to seek additional financial data from management in order to respond to that presentation.

An official from the Association of Flight Attendants, the other union at Midwest, couldn't be immediately reached for comment.

Midwest spokesman Michael Brophy said the company continues to have discussions with the union leaders, but will not comment publicly on those talks.

"We have been transparent in communicating to our employees that there are sure to be reductions in work force and benefits through most parts of the organization, but that they will be fair and equitable," Brophy said, in a statement.

"Obviously, Chapter 11 is not our most desirable destination," Brophy said. "That's why we're working on this restructuring plan, so we can avoid that scenario."

Midwest Chairman and CEO Timothy Hoeksema says Midwest's financial troubles are largely caused by soaring oil prices, with the airline is paying nearly double for jet fuel compared with a year ago. Midwest is owned by investment group TPG Capital and Northwest Airlines Corp.
daywatch_story_divider.gif

"Those cuts are not acceptable, he said, and the pilots union continues to seek additional financial data from management in order to respond to that presentation."

Why bother. That kind of a paycut is downright stupid to accept and it will not be worth saving the company under those conditions.

Tell management to take a hike!

50% PAYCUTS??

If I was a pilot there I'd rather lose my job. The profession has to be worth something.

It was a great product, but since 9/11 not so much. If thats what the company needs to stay in business, then they should not be in business. I can run the best airline in the world as long as Airbus gives me the planes, the pilots fly for next to nothing, and the waiters work on tips. Damn I wrote that as a joke, then when I proof read it, I realized Skybus tried that and still failed. Well nice knowing ya, tell tim to go F off.

Why don't they just ask the oil companys to only pay $65 a barrel instead of $130? This would sold a lot of problems.

That would put Midwest pilots making about what the skywest guys are flying the CRJs for as a Midwest Connection. Unacceptable.

Pilots and FA could fly for free and most airlines would still lose money if oil remains $130 a barrel or higher. Salaries are not the problem its too low for the airfare and WAY TOOOOOOOO much for gas

What bonus did Tim receive with the TPG/NWA buyout? Wasn't it something like $10 million? How much is he willing to give back?

Regrettably, I think the pilots should vote to shut the place down if management won't budge on nearly 50% cut... There are other aviation jobs out there that will actually pay you for your skills (corporate, fractional, etc.). You should not be paid CRJ wages to fly 717s - PERIOD.

Good luck to all involved!

Latest resources

Back