• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midway USAIR??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Im really asking this under true ignorance, But was is the purpose of buying a company like midway. Theyre not even flying the equipment that they will be for U. U isnt hurting for pilots as the have lots on furlough. Why not give the contract to a WO or to an already contracted company such as CCAir. is it because they would go for the j4j easily???

KingAirer said:
Im really asking this under true ignorance, But was is the purpose of buying a company like midway. Theyre not even flying the equipment that they will be for U. U isnt hurting for pilots as the have lots on furlough. Why not give the contract to a WO or to an already contracted company such as CCAir. is it because they would go for the j4j easily???

That's really a question you should ask ALPA, architect of J4J. You are probably correct though. Those regionals that did not have J4J crammed down their throats by the union, all rejected it. Since Midway is bankrupt, the Midway pilots have no choice.

If Midway gets running again, the Midway pilots will lose their jobs to the USAir pilots who will replace them. Of course Midway pilots are also "represented" by the ALPA.

Since being a regional pilot in ALPA is much like being a black man in the old South Africa, you should have no trouble understanding why that's OK.

If Midway gets running again, the Midway pilots will lose their jobs to the USAir pilots who will replace them. Of course Midway pilots are also "represented" by the ALPA.

I have to disagree on this one.. How many airplanes does Midway have, or will have under the agreement? If 50% of those airplanes will be flying with U pilots, then none of the currect Midway pilots should lose their jobs.

As much as everyone complains that all of the RJ flying should be flown by U or one of the U companies, that is completely impossible. In the situation U is in, there is no way they can secure enough financing for all these jets. They have to let outside companies secure the financing for their own jets and pay them on a contract basis.. How can they afford to do it any other way?

chperplt said:

I have to disagree on this one.. How many airplanes does Midway have, or will have under the agreement? If 50% of those airplanes will be flying with U pilots, then none of the currect Midway pilots should lose their jobs.

I'm sorry you disagree but that will not change my mind. Injustice remains injustice whether we agree or not. This is not about my opinion vs your opinion, just look at the facts. Have you read the agreement that the regional pilots are being coerced into accepting? If you haven't please do.

How many pilots does Midway have on furlough (from its previous bankruptcy and from the current one)? If Midway begins to operate again as the result of a contract with U, why shouldn't the Midway pilots be recalled to their jobs BEFORE U pilots take them? Why should U pilots have preference to jobs at Midway Airlines, while Midway pilots remain unemployed?

Please don't tell me that U pilots have some right to flying at Midway. They do not. The union is simply coercing some of its members to give preference to members that it prefers. I don't care if U pilots get jobs and hope that they do. They should get them AFTER all Midway pilots are recalled (that want to be), not before.

As much as everyone complains that all of the RJ flying should be flown by U or one of the U companies, that is completely impossible. In the situation U is in, there is no way they can secure enough financing for all these jets. They have to let outside companies secure the financing for their own jets and pay them on a contract basis.. How can they afford to do it any other way?

The financial problems at U are not the responsibility of the regional pilots affiliated with U, they did not cause them. If any pilots contributed to the problems it was U pilots, not the regional pilots. If U now has to subcontract its flying that's unfortunate, but it doesn't mean that regional pilots need to give up their seniority or work for less than U pilots, so that the U pilots can have priority to take their jobs. That's absurd. If none of the regional pilots give in to the coercion of ALPA, what is U going to do about it? Where will the U pilots get preference then?

If the regional pilots would just wake up an hold their own they could stop the discrimination by their union. If U can't "afford" to buy airplanes and if U pilots will not accept jobs without stealing seniority or without being paid more that regional pilots doing the same thing, then let them go out of business!

I would like to see the problems solved and everyone get work, but not at the expense of the regional pilots. What they are being asked to do is get up and give their seat to some dude that just got on the bus, because he's "better than them". That used to happen it the South and it kept happening until people had the guts to stand up for their rights. Regional pilots need to stand up and stop being wimps.

This is not the time for them to kiss @ss, it's time for them to kick @ss. The wholly owned subsidiaries at U have been kicked around for years by their "mainline brothers" and their union. It's time to do some kicking of their own. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have grasped that.

Surplus, I value your opinions, but give it a rest man. Every other thread is you on the same topic. You apparently don't know the whole story about U and what has been going on over here. Opinions are one thing, but shear ignorance is another.

Sit down, relax and have a Twinkie

If you want to play MEC to somebody, then put yourself on a ballot and hope for the best.

Shishhhh

Tango Uniform

Heard Midway pilots have told Bob to stick it.

Maybe there is some justice in the world after all.

:)

Surplus1

I'm not trying to change your mind.. You can't teach an old dog new tricks and frankly I couldn't give a hoot what you think.

You generally make some very good points in your posts, but enough is enough.. Right or wrong, this is where the industry is right now. Deal with it..

Just a point!

"Im really asking this under true ignorance, But was is the purpose of buying a company like midway. "

I don't think U bought Midway (although I could be wrong and will probably find out pretty quick). I was under the impression that U secured a 3-5mil dollar loan to get midway back up and then U will start using them or their assets. I think that they are still a seperate company. :p

Latest resources

Back