Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

boscenter

DC-9 Evangelist
This is interesting... but I don't get it... what's the point... ???

Good for Midway obviously, but how does this help USAir... ???

-----

US Airways to Add Midway Airlines as Regional Jet Affiliate Midway to Become US Airways Express Carrier; Tickets Will be Honored

ARLINGTON, Va., July 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways has signed a letter of intent to enter into a service agreement with Midway Airlines under which the Raleigh, N.C.-based carrier will operate as US Airways Express, flying an all-regional jet fleet beginning in October 2002.

As part of the arrangement, US Airways will provide stand-by transportation to passengers currently holding Midway tickets during the suspension of Midway's operations and transition.

US Airways also will implement a program to allow Midway Airlines' frequent fliers to convert their credits to Dividend Miles for future use on US Airways and partner carriers upon completion of the agreement.

Under the eight-year service agreement, Midway will begin operating as US Airways Express in October 2002, initially operating a fleet of five 50-seat Bombardier CRJ regional jets, with that fleet growing to up to 18 CRJs by April 2003. The agreement is contingent on several factors, including Midway's successfully securing $5 million in additional capital, acquiring additional aircraft and reaching agreements with its units of the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) and the Association of Flight Attendants (AFA) for related labor concessions and reaching an agreement with US Airways on the issuance of warrants to purchase a substantial minority interest over the course of the agreement.

The letter of intent also requires that 50 percent of the pilot positions at the carrier be reserved for furloughed US Airways pilots.

"Midway will resume flying from Raleigh-Durham to Boston, New York LaGuardia and Washington Reagan airports as US Airways Express beginning in October, subject to government approvals, and as they take more regional jet deliveries, Midway will expand its route network to strategically support US Airways service to key East Coast markets," said Bruce Ashby, US Airways' senior vice president of corporate development. "By guaranteeing jobs to furloughed US Airways pilots, this agreement also helps in our commitment to provide opportunities for pilots until they can be recalled to mainline operations."

Once the agreement is implemented, passengers flying on Midway's US Airways Express flights will be able to earn and redeem miles in the Dividend Miles program. Operating as a US Airways Express carrier also will enable passengers to purchase tickets via US Airways' telephone reservations system, or on the airline's Web site at usairways.com.

US Airways' frequent service to and from its largest hub in Charlotte, N.C., is a convenient alternative for passengers currently ticketed to, from or connecting through Midway's hub in Raleigh-Durham. Additionally, US Airways service through its Pittsburgh and Philadelphia hubs, as well as nonstop services to Boston, New York LaGuardia and Washington Reagan should provide ample capacity to handle the passengers ticketed to the eight destinations previously served by Midway.

Midway Airlines ticketed customers must first visit a Midway Airlines airport ticket counter no later than July 25, 2002, to have electronically issued tickets authorized for use on US Airways. If the ticket was issued through a travel agency, the customer may contact the agency for assistance. Midway Airlines will continue to staff its reservations centers and ticket counters. Further details are available via the Internet at midwayair.com, or by calling Midway at 1-800-446-4392. Customers who need to rebook on US Airways should call a dedicated reservation line at 1-800-510-0098.

If US Airways has a comparable fare available from the customer's originating city, or within 200 miles of the originating city, US Airways will confirm the reservation. If US Airways does not have available space on the desired flight, then the Midway customer would have to fly standby or request a refund directly from Midway.

SOURCE: US Airways

Does Midway still have pilots on furlough? Now the USair guys want pilot's jobs at airlines that USairways does'nt even own. What the F--k is going on here? This is getting ridiculous.

ridiculous ?

"This is getting ridiculous"

Boys this has been ridiculous for a long long time, like I've said before just when you think it can't get any worse wait a few hours and Beebe or Management will strike but again.

And tomorrow Cape Air and Great Lakes will start 777 and 747 service to China as US Airways Express. Although C. Beebe commented that this is contingent upon Cape Air and Lakes pilots allowing all U pilots rights to their houses, wives and any savings which they have in return for 50% of the positions created in the Lav Service and Window Wash division due to bringing 74 and 77 aircraft on the property. Any furloughed lakes or cape pilots are given first rights to carry mainline pilots' bags thru the terminal, although Mr. Beebe would not comment on tipping. The pervious mentioned position will be bidable.
Further LOA 99999999E to the 99th power of this part has language to keep and child of a WO, contract, Midway, Cape or Lakes pilot from learning how to fly or stepping foot into college. All of said children are scoped from any university w/in the 50 united states except Minot North Dakota Community College. If said children do enroll in MND comm. Col. thay are obligated to foward 50% of all post college earnings to the "Over Paid Mainline Pilots Party Fund", Please make all checks to C. Beebe or Roy "I have a speech problem" Freuidlic.

Last edited:
WOW

I don't see how or why Midway pilots would agree to this with their pilots still on the street.

However if they do, ALPA will be setting a precedent, and losing the faith of many by allowing the replacement of ALPA pilots' positions with another ALPA pilot. Thus defining a preffered group of pilots within ALPA. Thus not fair and equitable to all pilots equally. They will be toeing a fine line on the definition of promoting scabbing, that is when pilots are taking the work of the current contractual pilot group and while pilots are on furlough... or for that matter even putting pilots on furlough to bring in a pilot from outside the pilot group to take a currently occupied seat to assure the 50% requirement is met.

Last edited:
One of the stipulations of this agreement is that USAir buy a minority share of Midway.

I don't get it! USAir already has enough WO's, and one that has agreed to the J4J proposal. So why add Midway? I think its to spit in the faces of the other WO's that aren't going to agree to J4J.

Hopefully the Midway pilots will see whats going on here and put an end to this budding nonsense!

Before their first round of furloughs last summer (Aug), Midway had appx. 480 pilots. Almost half were furloughed last August (while retaining 40-some Boeing FO new-hires) when they parked half the CRJ fleet and filed for Chapter 11, and then of course everyone was on the street Sept. 12th when they ceased ops completely. In Dec, they started-up again with 4, then 5, 737s (no RJs, "cunningly" using their largest aircraft with highest DOCs at a time when pax bookings were at an all-time low) and currently there were about 60 pilots flying again until this latest announcement.

It will be interesting to see if they recall as they did in Dec., but in reverse. Back then they brought back the first crews (about 40) based on the seniority of ONLY those that were 737-qualified, disregarding overall seniority. After the initial recalls, they began to inject just 1 bypassed RJ or FK-100 pilot for every 4 that were 737-qualified. Now with this latest news, I wonder if recalls will be in order of "RJ seniority" first, bypassing more senior Boeing guys (not to mention the US Air mainline pilots)?

When Midway began taking delivery of the 737s to replace the F-100s, the in-company myth began to develop grow amongst the Boeing pilots that the CRJs were money-losers and they needed to be dumped (tell that to Comair, ACA, etc. etc.). Although the company had the flexibility (no scope) to react and right-size any marketplace with both types, I suspect that Midway's ex-Continental Prez Bob Ferguson, who had tried to beat SWA at their own game with his failed Continental Light, thought he'd try that again with an all-737 Midway, and they re-emerged as a "low cost/no frills" airline (buying into the notion that by only using 737s and trying to mimic SWA can any airline make money). Unfortunately, many pilots bought this hook, line, and sinker, and those remaining pretty much took whatever they were given, as long as they were flying those Boeings.

In other words, it would be impossible to guess what they will do now. Perhaps with someone else steering the ship it can gain some stablility and long-term planning.

Boy does that look like a sinking ship?!?!?!?! One company in Chapter 11 another about to enter Chapter 11. I always heard that two wrongs don't make a right. We shall see I suppose.

If U doesn't make it

Just think of all the companies U might bring down with them if they fall. I am not sure if I would want to sign on to something like this. Maybe it is also a last ditch effort for some of the new contract carriers to stay affloat as well? I guess we just need to sit back and watch what happens.

canadflyau

"However if they do, ALPA will be setting a precedent, and losing the faith of many by allowing the replacement of ALPA pilots' positions with another ALPA pilot. Thus defining a preffered group of pilots within ALPA. Thus not fair and equitable to all pilots equally. They will be toeing a fine line on the definition of promoting scabbing, that is when pilots are taking the work of the current contractual pilot group and while pilots are on furlough... or for that matter even putting pilots on furlough to bring in a pilot from outside the pilot group to take a currently occupied seat to assure the 50% requirement is met."

You know, you have a very good point here. ALPA is defining a preffered pilot group and this could open up something that ALPA does not need or want to tackle. Their actions remind me of the behavior of a recent administration. What comes around, goes around. I think what we are witnessing is a dramatic change in aviation history.:eek:

Last edited:
I have, they dont give a rats a$$ about us.

All we hear from mainline is how we are doing thier flying.

How I should take a pay cut to fly a jet, with a mainliner FO making twice what I make.

You never heard anything like that when things were good, all of a sudden flying the small airplane is where its at.

I hate to sound like that but, what next, my first born.

Yea, I work for a WO.

Latest resources

Back