• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MidEx

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yes i've heard of the history. i should hope the additional years of unionism has helped.

the senior guys got their answer in the last vote (merger fund). the last teleconference was simply people who voted yes complaining about those who voted no.
If this is true and your company begins to furlough at the beginning of the year, that will be sad news and I wish those that are furloughed the best. I have been furloughed, it definitely changes your life and I don't wish that on anyone. Now this brings me to another thought, folks this industry is so volatile. It is unfortunate that your pilot group may be facing furloughs because EGO's stood in the way of a possible good opportunity. When will we as a pilot group nationwide learn. This industry is a business and NO ONE cares about or is thinking about pilots when they make their business decisions. Some executives will promise falsely the world to save their existance!

The value I saw in a merger between Midwest and AirTran was the opportunity to bring two cultures together and build a true national low cost carrier. Unlike Jetblue or Southwest, which have their niche, AirTran and Midwest would have brought together years of experience from Midwest and their first class service and AirTran and their successful low cost model and made something potentially special and different from the other two low cost carriers. There would have been some growing pains and some learning on both sides, but the potential would have been very rewarding 3 to 5 years down the road. FACT, Airtran has 60 737-700s on order and many of those airplanes were destined for MKE and MCI given the saturation in ATL. FACT, Midwest has NO aircaft on order. Only some outsourcing contracts with an operator that is using a aircraft that is very inefficient given the current energy prices. Your union chose to endorse a business plan that was flawed and now may lead to furloughs! Sadly, I will never understand that. Would there have been hickups with a merger between AirTran and Midwest...yes! But the career opportunities and the potential for MKE and MCI economically made this a merger worth endorsing. Oil as high as it is may have slowed down a few things. But it's sad that pilot careers may be halted because of EGOS and selfishness that got in the way both in your executive suites and your MEC. Best of luck to all of us in this crazy industry.

Last edited:
It sucks getting furloughed. Midwest did it to me twice (2001, 2003). Then once more by another company. Each time I've ended up somewhere better. Have faith that something better will come along. The good news is that many quality companies are hiring. My advice, get another job and don't look back.

If this is true and your company begins to furlough at the beginning of the year, that will be sad news and I wish those that are furloughed the best. I have been furloughed, it definitely changes your life and I don't wish that on anyone. Now this brings me to another thought, folks this industry is so volatile. It is unfortunate that your pilot group may be facing furloughs because EGO's stood in the way of a possible good opportunity. When will we as a pilot group nationwide learn. This industry is a business and NO ONE cares about or is thinking about pilots when they make their business decisions. Some executives will promise falsely the world to save their existance!

The value I saw in a merger between Midwest and AirTran was the opportunity to bring two cultures together and build a true national low cost carrier. Unlike Jetblue or Southwest, which have their niche, AirTran and Midwest would have brought together years of experience from Midwest and their first class service and AirTran and their successful low cost model and made something potentially special and different from the other two low cost carriers. There would have been some growing pains and some learning on both sides, but the potential would have been very rewarding 3 to 5 years down the road. FACT, Airtran has 60 737-700s on order and many of those airplanes were destined for MKE and MCI given the saturation in ATL. FACT, Midwest has NO aircaft on order. Only some outsourcing contracts with an operator that is using a aircraft that is very inefficient given the current energy prices. Your union chose to endorse a business plan that was flawed and now may lead to furloughs! Sadly, I will never understand that. Would there have been hickups with a merger between AirTran and Midwest...yes! But the career opportunities and the potential for MKE and MCI economically made this a merger worth endorsing. Oil as high as it is may have slowed down a few things. But it's sad that pilot careers may be halted because of EGOS and selfishness that got in the way both in your executive suites and your MEC. Best of luck to all of us in this crazy industry.

again pilots and our MEC had NO say on the merger process, the shareholders had the say as did the BoD. our MEC chose a strategy that is still under question and we won't know if it is successful until after our next CBA is finished.

our pilots could have screamed one way or the other and it would not have mattered. you make it sound like we were controlling this process, not true. a lot of us like the airline as is and wish to see it expand based upon that, however that ain't happening no matter how loud we scream. a lot of us wanted the air tran deal to go through (and almost did) for the proposed growth that has been lacking here, but no matter how loud they screamed it didn't matter. what mattered was TPG, called in by Tim (not the pilots or our MEC), outbid air tran.

the community was told a stand alone plan was best for the shareholders and stakeholders very publicly. if they start furloughing people then they will look like fools and will lose the very support they count on for business (locals).

the only say our MEC has had on this process was "No" to the extension "offer" the company proposed right after the first TPG offer.

again pilots and our MEC had NO say on the merger process, the shareholders had the say as did the BoD. our MEC chose a strategy that is still under question and we won't know if it is successful until after our next CBA is finished.

our pilots could have screamed one way or the other and it would not have mattered. you make it sound like we were controlling this process, not true. a lot of us like the airline as is and wish to see it expand based upon that, however that ain't happening no matter how loud we scream. a lot of us wanted the air tran deal to go through (and almost did) for the proposed growth that has been lacking here, but no matter how loud they screamed it didn't matter. what mattered was TPG, called in by Tim (not the pilots or our MEC), outbid air tran.

the community was told a stand alone plan was best for the shareholders and stakeholders very publicly. if they start furloughing people then they will look like fools and will lose the very support they count on for business (locals).

the only say our MEC has had on this process was "No" to the extension "offer" the company proposed right after the first TPG offer.
I know your MEC had nothing to do with the bid and how it all turned out. However, when the merger was initially announced, your MEC took a neutral stand and then changed their minds. Again as I have said before, no one cares what the pilots think or say. But your MEC was willing to support a flawed business plan publicly and now that business plan may cost some of your members their jobs. Whatever happens best of luck to you. I don't wish a furlough on anyone. I've been down that painful road and it was during the holidays, it definitely hurts.

The good news, several good companies are hiring right now and that will hopefully lead to opportunities for your furloughees, if the company goes down that road. AirTran is looking for pilots to fill their upcoming classes. As of this date, AirTran still plans on taking 10 737s and wants to hire a couple hundred pilots in 2008.

It sucks getting furloughed. Midwest did it to me twice (2001, 2003). Then once more by another company. Each time I've ended up somewhere better. Have faith that something better will come along. The good news is that many quality companies are hiring. My advice, get another job and don't look back.

Spoken like a true veteran! :D I, like Jetjockey, rode the same furlough bus through 2 airlines. However, what really gets me is that people here still think that Timmy is the savior of Midwest. Let me back up for a sec. and say that I feel for those that will get their walking papers - been there, done that. It sucks! However, Timmy will just keep driving this airline into the ground. Also, TPG is not the savior. They are in this to make money, and if shrinking the airline by pruning off the dead wood is the way to go, they will. Follow Jetjockey's advice: get another job and don't look back! Use this news to your advantage: make it your motivation to move on.

Again as I have said before, no one cares what the pilots think or say. But your MEC was willing to support a flawed business plan publicly and now that business plan may cost some of your members their jobs.

Not entirely true. There was a no confidence on either Tim or the board a few years ago when the first furlough went down, and like was said earlier, the senior membership did nothing to try to save those at the bottom. That's a mixed message. We don't support our leadership, but we don't support our own, either.

Fast forward, now they supported stand-alone, because the company probably threatened something. Financials were such you knew they wouldn't be able to perform to a level to avert some sort of sale/merger. The union can't say 'See, we told you so' and must fall in line with what the company wants.

What's my point? Instead of drawing their own line, they let the company do it. What can they do now? Nothing. Supporting the company then will have a negative effect on the next contract. All they have to say is 'Hey this is what you guys wanted, and this is what will need to take from you.'

well that's whose important FlyWolf, SHAME ON YOU! :beer:
That would be "who is" important, not whose. I'm beginning to think you are from the Southland. :)

For the rest, where were the voices of moderation when all the "staple" talk was being bandied about.
Words do have consequences. I think it could have been a dynamite merger but as some one said, egos got in the way. And I have been through 3 mergers.

That would be "who is" important, not whose. I'm beginning to think you are from the Southland. :)

For the rest, where were the voices of moderation when all the "staple" talk was being bandied about.
Words do have consequences. I think it could have been a dynamite merger but as some one said, egos got in the way. And I have been through 3 mergers.

that was very hickish from me, sorry.

the merger didn't happen, thinking about what might have been is a waste of time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back