• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MidEx

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The last solid number of furlough from DM office is 17.
but no decision yet.

that's the last three classes, 12+1+4. with the expected attrition (25, but with age 65 i would imagine a slightly fewer number) announced earlier i would imagine a short furlough.

what a waste of money for the company if it is a short furlough. that's a little more than half a million dollars in compensation for an entire year from 17 revenue generators, about the salary of one senior executive, a non revenue generator. oh well, perhaps i won't have to worry about sending in my winter ops training exam as i keep forgetting to send it to gruber.

i think you were previously furloughed wolf, how many took the voluntary furloughs?

Last edited:
Sorry to read about furloughs. Hope whoever finds themselves in that situation finds something better.

Maybe the TPG thing will fall through and AAI will come in at a lower price. I would see that as a good situation for the future of AAI and a good situation for most of the workers (non-management) at MEH.

Sorry to read about furloughs. Hope whoever finds themselves in that situation finds something better.

Maybe the TPG thing will fall through and AAI will come in at a lower price. I would see that as a good situation for the future of AAI and a good situation for most of the workers (non-management) at MEH.

well TPG should not be directing furloughs at this time as that would be highly illegal since the shareholders and the current BoD still run the company.

i firmly believe this confusion is management's doing in lack of preparation for 2008 based on TPG not being in control.

The furloughs, if they even happen, may be political in nature. They may feel that the government may be more likely to approve the buyout faster if it looks like MEH is doing poorly and needs to be saved. This was what sped up the TWA buyout approval when AMR bought them. Obviously this is a different situation but they could be "crying poor" and attempting to get some sympathy to nudge the government. Just a guess and probably an incorrect one but furloughing 17 pilots hardly seems worth the time and effort to conduct the furlough. Maybe MEH wasn't better off as a stand-alone airline afterall.

that's the last three classes, 12+1+4. with the expected attrition (25, but with age 65 i would imagine a slightly fewer number) announced earlier i would imagine a short furlough.

what a waste of money for the company if it is a short furlough. that's a little more than half a million dollars in compensation for an entire year from 17 revenue generators, about the salary of one senior executive, a non revenue generator. oh well, perhaps i won't have to worry about sending in my winter ops training exam as i keep forgetting to send it to gruber.

i think you were previously furloughed wolf, how many took the voluntary furloughs?
There were very few voluntary furloughs. There were a few military leaves after 9-11. I'm surprised the FAs haven't been threatened with furloughs yet. They are coming up on contract negotiations, too.

There were very few voluntary furloughs. There were a few military leaves after 9-11. I'm surprised the FAs haven't been threatened with furloughs yet. They are coming up on contract negotiations, too.

i was going to ask the FA's i'm flying with tonight that very question.

The furloughs, if they even happen, may be political in nature. They may feel that the government may be more likely to approve the buyout faster if it looks like MEH is doing poorly and needs to be saved. This was what sped up the TWA buyout approval when AMR bought them. Obviously this is a different situation but they could be "crying poor" and attempting to get some sympathy to nudge the government. Just a guess and probably an incorrect one but furloughing 17 pilots hardly seems worth the time and effort to conduct the furlough. Maybe MEH wasn't better off as a stand-alone airline afterall.
I understand your argument. But the governments decision is not about the survival of Midwest, especially with AirTran having put on the table a business plan for the future of Midwest and MKE. The governments decision is about antitrust issues. Is Northwest's investment in TPG to control Midwest to keep out competition a antitrust violation? That is ALL the government is concerned about, period! If Midwest falters in the next several months, it will not influence the government one way or the other. If your management is banking on that, they will be sadly mistaken. If your stand alone plan can't survive on its own and is beginning to fail, the government may evaluate AirTran's plan and realize rejecting this deal may be in the best interest of competition, the workers, the community and all involved except your blind management. So please don't start playing the "Midwest is now a failing carrier" card. That will not influence the government in this case.

Last edited:
I spoke with crew planning a couple days ago, and they said they have been losing about 9 FA's a month. Attrition will take care of their over staffing if there ends up being any. My first take on this furlough thing was not good. Now I don't think it is going to happen.

I understand your argument. But the governments decision is not about the survival of Midwest, especially with AirTran having put on the table a business plan for the future of Midwest and MKE. The governments decision is about antitrust issues. Is Northwest's investment in TPG to control Midwest to keep out competition a antitrust violation? That is ALL the government is concerned about, period! If Midwest falters in the next several months, it will not influence the government one way or the other. If your management is banking on that, they will be sadly mistaken. If your stand alone plan can't survive on its own and is beginning to fail, the government may evaluate AirTran's plan and realize rejecting this deal may be in the best interest of competition, the workers, the community and all involved except your blind management. So please don't start playing the "Midwest is now a failing carrier" card. That will not influence the government in this case.

There is nothing guaranteeing Air Tran will make another offer. If the govt. rejects this for "antitrust" reasons on a one flight overlap, what will they say with Air Tran and multiple flight overlaps? I think you underestimate the impact of an ELECTION year and how a company failing with employees in 10+ congressional districts out of work will sway those in the government.

That being said, more and more are starting to see Air Tran as the better option the more this drags on.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back