• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Message From UAL MEC Chariman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
777s and 744s BOTH make money in good times, but 744s lose more money in bad times. (777s can cover for them) Regardless, they should be paid the SAME if one company has 744s as the largest, and the other company has 777s as the largest on their side. It is only fair. It allows a lot more people to have top scale pay. This is ridiculous.

Bye Bye--General Lee

CAL is trying to keep the 764 banded with the 777 and wants the 738 to have its own scale. Again, this is not JUST about the 744. Call your reps and get ALL the info before spouting off! Ask them what they want to band and un-band.

The DOT of transportation cited Delta's bid to the coveted Haneda Airport using the 744 vice UAL / CAL bids w a 777 as the reason why they choose Delta to get 2 slots and CAL or UAL none. They wanted max compacity on the new routes and the 400 gives it to them. Apparently regulators disagree with you...so do the cargo haulers who have brought in a lot of rev in good and bad times.

The DOT doesn't award anything, the DOJ does- but you knew that. The DOJ does not give a rat's a** about profitability. Flying a 744 out of Haneda, in the bogus time slots they were awarding, will most likely not work. Make your case, get in the door, petition for change- that's the game and I understand that.

A long haul widebody aircraft's economics are based on a lot of factors, the BIG one being the cost of fuel. With oil at $30 a barrel the 744 is a monster, with oil at $85 a barrel it is a moneypit most (not all) of the time.

In the mid-nineties 90+% of the airplanes on the ground at NRT were 747's, today it's probably in the 20+% range -there is a reason for that.

After reading the last 9 pages of this thread, I have to say there are so many different viewpoints on this that it is going to be impossible for us to agree. However, what I do know is that management must be having a ball watching us bitch and moan about what each side deserves in this contract. May I suggest we stop all of this and work as a collective unit to secure a lucrative contract for our futures. Company is making money hand and fist, trying to exploit ways around scope which will ultimately result in furloughs of mainline pilots and dragging contract negotiations along. Quite all of this bull******************** arguing and focus on what is important. We are the biggest airline in the country, lets get paid for it!:mad:

After reading the last 9 pages of this thread, I have to say there are so many different viewpoints on this that it is going to be impossible for us to agree. However, what I do know is that management must be having a ball watching us bitch and moan about what each side deserves in this contract. May I suggest we stop all of this and work as a collective unit to secure a lucrative contract for our futures. Company is making money hand and fist, trying to exploit ways around scope which will ultimately result in furloughs of mainline pilots and dragging contract negotiations along. Quite all of this bull******************** arguing and focus on what is important. We are the biggest airline in the country, lets get paid for it!:mad:

F$$k YEAH!

I guess the fact that UAL has twice as many 777's as 744's has nothing to do with efficiency. If it is so efficient, why not buy more?

Both airlines utilize twice as many Narrowbody/RJs, not sure about the point you made...it is not just about your definition of efficiency...on 14+hr flights in which foreign ports are limited in slots...DOT wanted max pax and cargo capacity and the 744 wins. You don't buy more because you don't need more to do the few trips fitting this need.
Oh by the way, I witnessed a UAL 744 coming out of the Desert last month in Victorville CA; heading back to service w UAL when I asked the Airport Manager. There are a lot of premium seats on a 744 and when times are okay they make a lot of money.

The DOT doesn't award anything, the DOJ does- but you knew that. The DOJ does not give a rat's a** about profitability. Flying a 744 out of Haneda, in the bogus time slots they were awarding, will most likely not work. Make your case, get in the door, petition for change- that's the game and I understand that.

A long haul widebody aircraft's economics are based on a lot of factors, the BIG one being the cost of fuel. With oil at $30 a barrel the 744 is a monster, with oil at $85 a barrel it is a moneypit most (not all) of the time.

In the mid-nineties 90+% of the airplanes on the ground at NRT were 747's, today it's probably in the 20+% range -there is a reason for that.

Genius,

Done. Oh fuel efficiency guru...UPS!!!

DOT 134-10
Tel.: (202) 366-4570 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (202) 366-4570 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
DOT Announces Final Decision to Award Four Routes
at Tokyo’s Haneda Airport
The U.S. Department of Transportation today awarded four routes to Tokyo’s downtown Haneda Airport to American Airlines at New York, Delta Air Lines at Los Angeles and Detroit, and Hawaiian Airlines at Honolulu, with service to begin when the airport’s fourth runway becomes operational later this year. Today’s action makes final the tentative decision of May 7.

Both airlines utilize twice as many Narrowbody/RJs, not sure about the point you made...it is not just about your definition of efficiency...on 14+hr flights in which foreign ports are limited in slots...DOT wanted max pax and cargo capacity and the 744 wins. You don't buy more because you don't need more to do the few trips fitting this need.
Oh by the way, I witnessed a UAL 744 coming out of the Desert last month in Victorville CA; heading back to service w UAL when I asked the Airport Manager. There are a lot of premium seats on a 744 and when times are okay they make a lot of money.

What 14+ hour flights do UAL 747's do? What is the definition of "ok."

Again, the government does not give a s**t about profitability. We'll see how long they fly that route with a 747. Departing at o' dark thirty could probably be covered with a 767, premium passengers don't want to get to their destination in the middle of the night.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back