Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba Street Saab Captain program done?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

labbats

Zulu who?
Mesaba just put a grinding halt on hiring Saab street captains (The website showed that they needed 50 ASAP as of a few days ago). I've got to think this is due to the strong possibility of a merger.

Witness the following regarding my application submitted 2 weeks ago....

Error: Invalid Data. Review all error messages below to correct your data.
This job is no longer available. Please search our current job openings.

Last edited:
If anything, Mesaba being a turboprop and 900 operator should put them in a position of strength compared to most other companies in a merger situation.

If your guys 900s are going to new hires, then there is no need for street captains on any plane. Think about it...

900 FO spots are going to new hires...but I dont see your point.
It's an issue with seat locks. Every Airline that takes on new equipment while implementing seat locks has had the new equipment go junior. However, the company does not know how many captains will transition to the new airplane. So they over fill the captains slots on the old planes to the number they think is appropriate. In other words with the 900 upgrade going to new hires, there are no more pilots leaving the saab. Thus no more need for saab upgrades...no more street captains....This is why chances of getting 787 at NWA are better than 330 even though the 330 is junior.

To start, the removal of the posting is just because there are enough in the pool for now. With my class and two others the total street captain count is 28 plus the pool that is pretty large. The last I was told (about 2 weeks ago) is that the intention was for 100 total street captains-I don't know if that is still the target.

As for the 900, it is not going to new hires. The posts a while back were before revisions in the award came out, the plane isn't going that junior. One issue with it is the schedules are pretty crappy. There are a number of guys here who could hold it but have fantastic schedules in the saab and don't really see any reason to take the 900 slot until they have more seniority.

As to the merger talks...who knows.

As for the 900, it is not going to new hires.

You clearly dont understand the meaning of "new hire" in the context of Mesaba Airlines. It takes several years to lose that title.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back