• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba OPS quote from RST debacle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wrong... When they called the station it was just a gas and go request. Not a babysit our pax and crew all night request.

Crew wanted to divert to Farmington, which does not even have a commercially served airport. Good planning there.

The timeline shows the crew/dispatch kept trying to get the flight back underway to MSP. What is not mentioned is that the station tried to get the passengers onto the bus that they got for the NWA passengers (there was room), but XJT did not want to give up on the flight yet, refused, and it was only after that they started whining they needed a bus.

I'm not saying the station could not have done more, but XJT dropped the ball here.

Um a bus was offered to XJT.....when the station thought we were Northwest Airlines! When she figured out we were XJT and not NWA that offer was retracted!

CptMurf...listen to the d@mn tape were she says and I quote "we can't get them a bus"
http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/19/194171/audio/0423dxrst A.WAV

Nice try pal :smash:

More than Mesaba (XJ) dropped the ball. The PIC lacked intestinal fortitude to execute the job. But lets get one thing clear....

Airlines use airports as alternates that they don't serve all the f--king time.

Its great seeing a positive spin on this entire thing but I must say I think its funny that an Entire Operation can be screwed up at an airline and yet another airlines outstation can be to blame. Some quote an "unwritten rule" to help other diverted airlines I must say that is funny. Most of our station people have not been around long enough to know old time unwritten rules! I am happy XJ's leadership are holding the line in defending our people. Give me a break. I hope If I ever screw up or more correctly get put in a screwed up situation like the Captain did I have someone elses station to blame! what a world we live in!

Yes Yes this ancient unwritten rule that goes all the way back to the year of the lord 2003. Thats the last time I worked as a gate agent and handled another airlines Divert due to this Unwritten rule(under direct orders from my station manager I might add.) Also someone mentioned why would a completely different airline handle this flight. MONEY of course when an another airline diverts to your field you can charge whatever the F&*k you want for the ground handling. So most Station manager's would be very happy to take a divert for the cash and bottom line alone.

There needs to be a minimum level of passenger rights that any airline flying stopping in the U.S. should follow. These should be either Federal Law, or Federal Air Regulations, to ensure compliance.

This would help both airlines and flight crews know what the minimum level of service & safety the airlines must provide at all times.

A passenger bill of rights would also provide cover for the airline pilots who work for "less than stellar" carriers (as I have in the past), as a pilot cannot violate regulations or federal law no matter what airline management wants them to do.

This is a systemic problem across all the airlines in my view, every one (regionals and majors) has had incidents of overflowing lavs, long delays, and passengers who have been refused the basic right to depart an airplane that is still on the ground after hours of delay.

This should be a good thing for all of us, as pilots are some of the most "frequent flyers" while deadheading to, from or during work.

Lets hope this incident finally forces congress & the FAA to act.

More regulation for a deregulated industry? How much more can the government tell the airlines how to do their business without just doing their business for them?

Either regulate or don't, but stop this half assed chit that just allow the airlines to slowly bleed to death.

eP.

Latest resources

Back