• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba losing the Avros (?)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They have been taken out of reservation and replaced with either DC-9's or CRJ's, and planning confirmed it. CRJ deliveries will be accelerated

JPAustin said:
Atleast in this case Mesaba has an even trade of aircraft, so theoretically no need for furloughs, the only downside being the transitional period.

Kind of. Mesaba has hired and upgraded a bunch of pilots with the CRJ's coming with the intent of keeping Avros as well.

Dodge said:
Kind of. Mesaba has hired and upgraded a bunch of pilots with the CRJ's coming with the intent of keeping Avros as well.

Well, the current number of pilots is at 950 and Mesaba had only hired around 50 in advance of the CRJs (priorly at around 900). With monthly attrition, my guess is Mesaba will be fat for awhile on pilots but will catch-up in a few months. Of course, this is a very shortsighted initial view based upon a salvo of bad news designed to make concessions from the labor groups smoother so that they will just be grateful to keep flying and growing with 70-90 seaters as soon as scope is breached.

Concessions look a lot less lethal when the "career mortality light" is going off (did I quote "Backdraft" correctly?)...

JPAustin said:
Well, the current number of pilots is at 950 and Mesaba had only hired around 50 in advance of the CRJs (priorly at around 900). With monthly attrition, my guess is Mesaba will be fat for awhile on pilots but will catch-up in a few months.

Lets hope people can get on to FDX in a hurry.

Last edited:
What does this do for the Avro drivers? I thought Avro CA's were NOT allowed to bid to CRJ?

Losing 9 Avro's by X-mas, and you have 2 maybe 3 CRJ's on the property now and none in service yet?

Sounds ugly for a few months until you can catch up with training.

Good luck guys...

Dodge said:
Lets hope people can get on to FDX in a hurry.

FDX, What? How many traps do you have on a carrier? Time flying CAP (Combat air patrol not Civil air patrol)? Have a lot of "bubbas" from your ex unit do you?

Not that any of the aforementioned things have anything to do with flying boxes, mind you.

FDX, yeah right.

Of more importance might be Steenland resigning your board. IF you recall, that happened before with Anderson and your contract negotiations.

What you should be worried about is an ACA/Air Wisc vs. Mesa/CHQ scenario--sounds like the stage could be getting set for an end to the MES/PCL exclusivity of flying for NWA. That's what I would be worried about. Be interesting to see what happens in MEM....

----
We've got to stop this Eagan-on-Eagan violence. Let's all just go to the Towne Center Applebee's and settle this over some snacks. 2 for 1 appetizers after 9pm, cause we know you're cheap, Big NW.

Latest resources

Back