mesaba flow up and down

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gotta love that kind of planning.

When do you estimate NWA will start hiring and how long is it going to take to finalize the XJ/NWA flow. I would imagine our preference forms will now include a "Flow to NWA" option. I'm not usually a skeptic but I will believe it when I am sitting in NWA Indoc.

Are they going to make all of the XJ guys do the NW astronaut physical now?

It's not that bad. I slid in 15 pounds overweight, deaf from 5000 hours in turboprops, and so much bad cholesterol that the oil and grease separated out to form it's own layer in the blood vial.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Nu

That was the most bull sh*t response I have ever seen. You're not fooling anyone Mark.....you're an idiot.

Yikes! I yield to your superior knowledge and experience with Northwest crew staffing. You obviously understand it much better than I do. The improvements will mean less efficiency and fewer pilots needed. You'd do well to keep your uber-Mensch analytical skills at XJ.

Given that, I'll expect you to say "no thanks" to the Flow Thru when your number comes up...right?

Dointime doesn't work at XJ. He's a PCL pilot.

wow I would like to ignore this post since I do not know much about this situation. But from what I understand........

No matter what happens, the flow will have to go up and down "what goes up, must come down" Good when times are good, bad.......you get the idea.

That this will help the hiring at XJ since it will not be an attractive option for those who want the chance at a back door at a major. Some will even look the other way at our terrible pay (say compared to skywest, horizon and a few others) and the fact that flying a Saab is rather uncomfortable.

That there will be a regulated flow to prevent the mass exodus of XJ pilots to mainline (from what I heard was 25% with more gates while we are growing from the 900's coming on property.

That those who do not want to go, do not have to, and when that happens, from what i hear, any flow backs would go behind them on the seniority list. Protecting their good pay and schedules on the 900.

That the older and more senior pilots might not want to go, since they will be making somewhere around 100 grand, and to replace that at NWA being a new hire would take years. Oh and thier 401k would be too valuable to leave as well. Lets say NWA hires four hundred, thats 100 mesaba pilots gone to NWA. figure 600 XJ pilots were here after bankruptcy, thats a lot of opportunity for the pilot group. if those 400 happened in a couple years, there would be a lot of pilots going to NWA.

Yup, I think that many pilots don't know they are working for about 700 extra bucks a month by flying vs. retiring.(older green guys on the NB) Many don't want to lose the excess check (red guys) Many want to fly till 65 (Old Blue guys). The main thing is the PERP idea was a way to sell the TA to the junior guys by getting the weaker minded to believe that their would be 300-500 early retirements as told by Dollaway/Wheeler during the roadshows. Especially since NWA has "discretion" if it wants to let guys out early, it was a bait and switch job, as usual.

Compass Pilots need to have 30 months of service in to qualify for flow-up so senior Mesaba pilots who desire to flow-up could be in some of the 1st initial NWA new hire classes as soon as they start ramping up. Should be interesting to see who bids it.

Compass Pilots need to have 30 months of service in to qualify for flow-up so senior Mesaba pilots who desire to flow-up could be in some of the 1st initial NWA new hire classes as soon as they start ramping up. Should be interesting to see who bids it.

I know the details are still being worked out, however, I can say with some certitude that if we (senior pilots who are 40-50+ years old) at XJ don't get some pay protection, (which I'm sure we won't), most will not go for the flow through at all, and the junior pilots will go in droves.
Ironically, the angst of watching these new hire wonder boys/gals with 600 hours flowing past 11000-20000 hour captains will be amusing to watch, in a perverse sort of way. But it all comes down to timing and choice in this industry, and not some convoluted, dillusional concept of a merit system.
I still remain grateful for all ALPA has done, this is still a long time in coming.

Latest resources

Back