• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

mesaba flow up and down

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NWAALPA.com says an agrement has been made for flow up and flow down with mesaba and nwa.

I just read the text version of the MEC Hotline and it's true, there is a flow up/down agreement similar to the agreement that exists with Compass.

NW ALPA says it's a zero cost exchange meaning it provides job protection for NW pilots in exchange for allowing XJ to operate the 900. Awhile back, someone posted on this forum or another, a RJDC link that had a whitepaper on a NW ALPA program called NW70, which called for NW to operate 70 seaters at mainline. The TA appears to mimic that whitepaper.

I would love the legacy's to operate 70 seaters and above, even if for current regional payrates. Under this scenario, I feel this enables the mainline group in a strong bargaining environment to increase SJ pay if it were deemed a priority and probably would.

Unfortunately, this probably will never happen. At least NW pilots have rather good scope language. I think the final determinate will be if NW finds a replacement for the DC9 and operates the replacement at the old DC9 fleet numbers. I think they will as the seat gap is rather significant between the 76 seat SJ and the A319/320.

Fly Safely!

It's kind of refreshing to be taking steps in the good direction again. Thank you to all who worked on this deal.

For those opposed: Let the FI scrum begin!

It's kind of refreshing to be taking steps in the good direction again. Thank you to all who worked on this deal.

Another interesting timing thingy: We'll be hiring this year. Mesaba is pat...for now. (Staffing recovery called "no factor" by MSA management wonk)

Are you guys nuts? This is just a frickin smoke screen to help NWA park MORE narrowbodies in the future. The MEC will throw in the flow back language to make the junior guys feel better, but with 1000 or so retirements in the next 4 years (500-1000 w/ age 65), NWA and the MEC knows that they can park ALL the DC-9's and still not have to furlough anyone. With 68% of NWA pilots ALREADY voting to give any scope (hell, doesn't affect them) why in the world would anyone think this is a good thing?

Maybe for Mesaba/Compass/Pinnacle because they will grow.

From 475 plus aircraft to 333 in 5 years. Pathetic. Actually, we have the same number of aircraft, just someone besides a NWA pilot flies it.

Wow! Kinda hard following your logic here. The RJ's coming to Mesaba replace the Avro's that departed last year. How is that an erosion of narrowbody aircraft? None of the ratio numbers changed in this deal, and the impact of the work-rule changes will result in more pilots required.

Are you guys nuts? This is just a frickin smoke screen to help NWA park MORE narrowbodies in the future. The MEC will throw in the flow back language to make the junior guys feel better, but with 1000 or so retirements in the next 4 years (500-1000 w/ age 65), NWA and the MEC knows that they can park ALL the DC-9's and still not have to furlough anyone. With 68% of NWA pilots ALREADY voting to give any scope (hell, doesn't affect them) why in the world would anyone think this is a good thing?

Maybe for Mesaba/Compass/Pinnacle because they will grow.

From 475 plus aircraft to 333 in 5 years. Pathetic. Actually, we have the same number of aircraft, just someone besides a NWA pilot flies it.

I agree with you about it being a smokescreen. I've thought about how NW retirements will offset the increase in SJs for a long time. Sad for everyone imho. However, with that said, I have 2 questions for you.

1. In terms of seats, there is a significant seat gap between the SJ and the A319/320. Wouldn't it make sense for NW to operate something in between?

2. What is the scope language? How many 76 seaters can the regionals operate? Right now, it's 72 total between XJ and CP + CP has 36 options for 108 total. That number does replace the DC-9, but refer to question 1 above.

Wow! Kinda hard following your logic here. The RJ's coming to Mesaba replace the Avro's that departed last year. How is that an erosion of narrowbody aircraft? None of the ratio numbers changed in this deal, and the impact of the work-rule changes will result in more pilots required.

True, the 900s do replace the Avros. What is the scope? Can you post the language here?

Latest resources

Back