• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba cancels classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does anyone think that classes will be rescheduled (I was scheduled for saab class on 9/26) in the near future. Or should I just give up on Mesaba and start looking elsewhere.

I wouldn't give up on the company yet. Hopefully a few questions will be answered for us on October 6th... So hang tight...

littlebrownman said:
Does anyone think that classes will be rescheduled (I was scheduled for saab class on 9/26) in the near future. Or should I just give up on Mesaba and start looking elsewhere.

If Mesaba is your absolute number 1 pick, then hang tight, this is just a hiccup- things will smooth out. We're still getting CRJs and maybe you'll be switched to a future CRJ class!

But some people may tell you to shop around as a backup. I suppose it won't hurt at all if you apply at other companies while you wait. Showing up at another interview and telling them you have an offer from Mesaba tells them you are hirable. Look at it as a plus! Use it as leverage!

Last edited:
If NW wishes to continue operating the ASE route then it needs the Avro's. This is the same reason why UA has come back to ZW and asked to retain some of the 146 flying.

NWA is just trying to get new lease agreements with the AVRO's. Why would they park an AVRO and keep a DC-9? Two things are going to come out of this: First, the AVRO's leases are going to be renegotiated. Second, scope is going bye-bye and they will be reconfigured to hold 85 seats. I would think that the real question would be if the Mesaba MEC has enough backbone to require a higher payrate for the additional seats. If they roll over and keep current book for the same aircraft (more seats) they will be undercutting future gains with 70 seaters.

They are trying to scare us to get us ready for concessions. And for Pcl that want it as an excuse to give them a crappy contract.

Don't fall for it boys and girls our costs are in line with the rest in the industry. The people that need to give back is the mainline this is their responsibility not ours.

Possibly just a scare. But then they'd be lying in Federal court, to a Federal bankruptcy judge about the Avro being a "potential excess aircraft".

Last edited:
True,

But I guess my real point is there is nothing we can do in the form of concessions to keep that aircraft. Even if we worked for free it wouldn't help. The only thing that will change NWA desire to get rid of those things is the banks re-working the leases.

gnx99 said:
Possibly just a scare. But then they'd be lying in Federal court, to a Federal bankruptcy judge about the Avro being a "potential excess aircraft".

Your kidding right? Has NWA ever told the truth to their unions? Federal judge or not, they don't make their plans public to anyone. Do you remember the insider trading that went on during the pilot strike in 99? CEO sells a pile of stock right before the strike and then buys it back directly afterward. "Federal court" doesn't see a problem with this and the upper management at NWA goes free. Just remember that federal judges are appointed by elected officials that are bought and paid for by private industry. Even the FAA knows it's limits, if they weren't affraid of the political fallout from DC Pinnacle would have been shut down after the second hull loss. Even "federal judges" have career expectations, and those judges are accutely aware that those expectations can be cut short with one unpopular decision from the bench. Don't put to much faith in the federal government's oversight of the airline industry. We're the only ones that we can count on to look out for our best interest. If we stand strong we can make a change. If we fold, we'll all be complaining tomorrow about how the federal courts are screwing us. Right now the courts are under the authority of a Republican administration that hates organized labor. How mad do you think the courts are going to be about the unions getting screwed? Those same judges that your expecting to be fair are the same ones that killed the United pilot's pensions, and then sent Enron's upper managment to prison for the same thing.

Latest resources

Back