Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK how about this for an out-there guess:

-Mesaba gets a big batch of 70-seat jets

-Since they're "owned" (in the sense that we own all our aircraft) by Mesaba, they're maintained by Mesaba, ground-handled by Mesaba; the F/A's are Mesaba, the pilots are trained by Mesaba...but the pilots are NWA mainline pilots, provided by NWA to Mesaba on contract.

-As payback to the Mesaba pilots, they implement a "flow-through" program for our pilots to NW.

Result: The operating costs of a regional, and the NWA pilots get their way.

Just a brainstorm from a spoke-station grunt... (if it actually happens this way, just remember you heard it here first)

From the MSA ALPA homepage posted at 5:45 pm:

Item 5: Your MEC was called into special session last Sunday, February 27th. Due to confidentiality agreements executed between ALPA and Mesaba management, we cannot divulge the reason for the meeting or any details about this weekâs events. Your MEC will have detailed communications forthcoming as we are able. There has been rumor and speculation on the flight line, at Mesaba, and even in outside public forums. Please remain patient.

---- What Tom Wychor is really saying here is, "hey I'm in charge, I'll let you know what's going on when I feel like it, or when Daddy Duane gives me permission ".

Wychor is NOT going to come out and tell you the truth and he does not have our best interest at heart. He's locked in his little ALPA world and is only focused on how he can get ahead politically within ALPA.

My bet is that NWA proposes to the NWA pilot group they give up retirement in favor of scope. But, I just dont see NWA pilots and there egos flying an airplane, that 3 years ago was called a regional jet; wouldn't that make them regional pilots? Oh wait, ALPA calls them small jets now - so that's justifiable.

Guys wake up - if any other regional gets new NWA flying, it'll be CHQ - because of the history that they have with Bedford and his subsidiary Republic.

xjcsa said:
OK how about this for an out-there guess:

-Mesaba gets a big batch of 70-seat jets

-...but the pilots are NWA mainline pilots, provided by NWA to Mesaba on contract.

-As payback to the Mesaba pilots, they implement a "flow-through" program for our pilots to NW.

Result: The operating costs of a regional, and the NWA pilots get their way.

I think this would violate the Mesaba Pilots' Holding Company Scope Letter (All Aircraft over 19 seats operated by any of the airlines under the holding company must be crewed by Mesaba Airlines seniority list pilots)

I don't have the language with me so it may be slightly different, but that is the intent.

I "think" the NWA 70 deal is complete. XJ and the Unoin are in talks over a 70+ seat pay, being that there is not one in the contract.
The 70+ includes the Avro now at 85 seats.

avrodriver--

I thought that the relationship with BB and NWA was a bad one?

Also, what can Wychor gain in ALPA? He still works at Mesaba and needs to be re-elected in a coupe years--seems like if every one is unhappy with him that he could find himself back on the line...

anavrofo said:
I "think" the NWA 70 deal is complete. XJ and the Unoin are in talks over a 70+ seat pay, being that there is not one in the contract.
The 70+ includes the Avro now at 85 seats.

That is the exact scenario I was expecting.

So if it's true...You heard it here second!

I've also heard that rumor about NWA and Bedford having a bad relationship when he left XJ or was "asked to leave". But money is money, and he knows how to make it. Besides Checchi is leaving NWA and they have a different management team over there that wasn't around when Bedford was running things at XJ.

As for Wychor, he runs and gets re-elected ONLY because no one runs against him. For example, with his latest re-election to EVP at the BOD last year - he only won because the guy running against him dropped out. (Mesa MEC Chair) But the way Wychor tells it, he was re-elected unanimously. He hates rivalry, and can't handle adversity. Would make a great used-car salesman some day.

If/when there is a 70+ seat scale, I wonder what the FO scale is like.....

Unleash the GOLDEN CARROT! It will just be another Captain vs. FO vote and we all know how that's gonna go down.

The reason no one runs against Tom is very evident when one reads forums like this. I would never want his job and most would not want it either.

This is an interesting thread. As a furloughed NWA pilot I am very concerned with all the rumors and breakdown of any "New" flying. Our scope is very good, though not iron-clad, as evidenced by the 44 seat jets. We are very much in tune with the 70 seat issue, and the overwhelming majority of NWA pilots have voiced their opinion to NWA Alpa that anything over 50 seats remains under mainline.

There is discussion with the company over converting our DB pension to a DC plan, requiring less cash from the company at this time. In the long run it could bite them, but for now that is the company's wishes. Our MEC is in discussions with management about the 70 seat issue, but they are two, totally separate negotiations. There is no link between one or the other, according to our reps.

So, what is going to happen? Who knows. I don't think the 70 seat flying is negotiable. Our union has been told it is the third rail for our pilot group, and would never pass memrat. Possible flow-through? I, and many other at NWA believe that flowthrough is a good idea. It would cause some short term headaches, but long term it would benefit everyone. We tried to pursue it about 10 years ago and was told that the Mesaba MEC was against it.

I think the constant whipsawing of one pilot group against the other is a detriment to the long term viability of the profession. Do any of the pilots at XJ, MAIR, or any other regional really want to remain there for life, or do you someday want to fly the whale or something beyond 70 seats? The constant attacks bring down all groups, and lower the pay and benefits everyone will receive.

A perfect example is Waylon's post earlier. He is "willing to fly them for less", and will be happy because he is screwing guys like me. That is a great attitude. Just wait until some UND grad comes to the door and says he'll fly them for less than Waylon. Then what? Waylon is advocating taking jobs from mainline by lowballing the company on pay and benefits. Great. 80 years of union progress undone by one shortsighted pilot.

What if I advocated the opposite? Maybe NWA MEC should advocate taking all red tail flying back to the mainline. We can negotiate a "B" scale for the smaller aircraft and forgo pension credit in exchange for terminating all SJ provider contracts. If we did that you would be up in arms about how we are trying to ruin your jobs, put you out of work, etc. How is that different from what Waylon is advocating? A short sighted attitude like that will undo everthing that makes this profession worthwhile.

I don't know what will happen, but we need to keep in mind that the management of both our airline's would love to pit us against one another, and then decrease the quality of both our careers. Let's at least try to be professionals, and remember there are long term consequences for each of these decisions.

JB

Latest resources

Back