• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba big annoucement imminent

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't want to be compared to XJ thankyouverymuch; we need to be thinking more along the lines of CMR, XJET, ASA, and AirWhiskey (pre-concessions).

What you like so much about XJet CBA verse the XJ CBA? What makes one unbearable verse being a goal in your eyes?

Lear70 said:
Yeah. Sure. Great. We get to compare our contract to XJ's... and their pitiful CRJ rates which, at D.O.S., were LESS than ours and even now are within a dollar per hour.

And why do you thik that is? Maybe cause we have no 50 seaters? Also, payrates are not the only thing. Sure we could have had a better pay rate but at what cost to the QOL issues like days off and block or better. So I bet at the end of the year our pilots average w-2 would be more than yours with more days off and less block hours.

Lear70 said:
I don't want to be compared to XJ thankyouverymuch; we need to be thinking more along the lines of CMR, XJET, ASA, and AirWhiskey (pre-concessions). True, XJ has block or better, a min day rig, and a better trip drop/swap provision, but other than that I'm not very fond of their contract and would gladly strike rather than live under it.

Good luck. I am rooting for you but I would be shocked if Pinnacle could even sign a contract equal to Mesaba's. CMR and XJET are nice goals but you will never get there. It is just too big of a jump from where y'all are now.

True, our rates on aircraft that we don't have and have no real leads on having, are not that good. I, however, did not have to PFT at Mesaba (9E was at the time I got hired), I did not have to find my own place to stay in training, I did not work for free the first 3 months, block or better, full trip cancellation pay.......and this was all in our 1996 contract. The only problem is that I had to sit as an FO for 5+ years. But I worked under a GOOD contract.

I truly hope you can achieve this in your 2007 contract.

Ace McCoy said:
And why do you thik that is? Maybe cause we have no 50 seaters? Also, payrates are not the only thing. Sure we could have had a better pay rate but at what cost to the QOL issues like days off and block or better. So I bet at the end of the year our pilots average w-2 would be more than yours with more days off and less block hours.
I'll take that bet... still waiting for a MSA pilot who wants to share a few beers and spend an hour or so comparing month per month using MSA 50-seat rates and work rules against my actual flying - I'd buy as much beer as you could drink if it's more than 5%.

To your first question, to be blunt, your MEC couldn't see the forest for the trees; Saabs aren't the future, Avros aren't the future, 44 and 50 seat jets are your future in the Northwest family BECAUSE IT'S THE ONLY FREAKING GROWTH NORTHWEST IS DOING RIGHT NOW!!! I'm still shocked that most of the pilots couldn't see that basic fact; you have to plan for your future, 44- and 50-seat RJ's are it for the next decade or so, and your rates for it suck. If you do get the CRJ's, your group will be kicking themselves for years for not realizing where your bargaining interests SHOULD have gone.

True, our rates on aircraft that we don't have and have no real leads on having, are not that good.
I bet you're wrong about that last part. Northwest IS GOING TO GET MORE 44 and 50-SEATERS. Few, if any, will continue to come to us. Who, therefore, is going to get them? Easy question, easy answer - bet ya a beer on it. :)

I, however, did not have to PFT at Mesaba (9E was at the time I got hired),
Neither did I.

I did not have to find my own place to stay in training,
Neither did I.

I did not work for free the first 3 months,,,,
Neither did I. Wouldn't have come here if I'd have had to. For that matter, I wouldn't have gone to ANY regional as an F/O, would have stayed in Charter or Corporate, but I digress. You're correct that your contract in it's '96 incarnation is better in most ways than ours, as is your current contract. I still wouldn't have signed it.

Good luck. I am rooting for you but I would be shocked if Pinnacle could even sign a contract equal to Mesaba's. CMR and XJET are nice goals but you will never get there. It is just too big of a jump from where y'all are now.
Time will tell, but I think you'll be surprised. It will definitely get bloody but I'm ready for my vacation (strike) at the earliest possible convenience. I know it will come to that to get any real change so I'm prepared for it and urging my fellow PCL employees to be prepared as well.

Last edited:
Lear70 said:
Yeah. Sure. Great. We get to compare our contract to XJ's... and their pitiful CRJ rates which, at D.O.S., were LESS than ours and even now are within a dollar per hour.

I don't want to be compared to XJ thankyouverymuch; we need to be thinking more along the lines of CMR, XJET, ASA, and AirWhiskey (pre-concessions). True, XJ has block or better, a min day rig, and a better trip drop/swap provision, but other than that I'm not very fond of their contract and would gladly strike rather than live under it.

Flying this piece of sh*t airplane for the wages we fly them for is shameful, and I am embarrassed to tell people who I work for. Since only a few are moving on to bigger and better things, we'd better be prepared as a pilot group to make this contract count, rather than be another rung to lower the bar upon.

All that aside, I sincerely hope that XJ gets the rest of the CRJ's that Northwest has options for; you guys are due some serious growth and my F/O friends over there are MORE than ready for the CA's seat. I have no fear that you will grow and we will shrink because I also don't subscribe to the whipsaw tactics that management uses; I'm smarter than that and hope that most of my colleagues will use their mind likewise.

Our growth or lack thereof is NOT the fault of the pilot contract or labor costs, but rather management's ability to work with those agreements to make the airline profitable - that's their fu*king job...

Get real Lear. You guys will be lucky to get 1/2 of what we had in our OLD contract and you wont come close to our current contract in pay, QOL, W-2 earnings ability ect. ect. Well, I have to go. I have to get ready for my $1000 premium pay daytrip tomorrow.

[ Well, I have to go. I have to get ready for my $1000 premium pay daytrip tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? How? Can you please explain, a little more in detail.

smokey999 said:
Seriously? How? Can you please explain, a little more in detail.

Easily done. 8 hrs at 150% = 12 hrs

$1000/12 hrs = $83.33/hr: An 11 year Avro Captain, which is they type of senoirity required to hold ARJ Capt these days

This doesn't even count any overblocking he does that day!

Yup, it's coming for sure! A VERY reliable source told me this today: "You will be sharing great news with all the people you love." Then my source went on to say: "Lucky Numbers 5, 9, 20, 24, 34, 44."

Alright... my source was my Wok and Roll fortune cookie. I admit it. But, they're all true... right?

Is anyone else a little bit disturbed by part of the pilot pay-day hotline? I was bothered by the part that said: "At the time the confidentiality agreements were signed, we did not anticipate that it would be this long a period of time in which we could not share the substance of the discussions with the pilot group."

I probably just getting paranoid, but to me that sounds like "this is taking longer than we thought and not going well like we thought." Everyone seems to be giving the impression that this should be a done deal and we are just waiting to spill the beans. I'm not so sure anymore.

So help me God if we don't grow this time... I might just have to apply to be a greeter at Wal-Mart. At least that way the job will never disappoint me.

Do you have to pay for training at Wal-Mart as a greeter?

Also, which Wal-Mart bases are most junior?

Latest resources

Back