• Start date
  • Watchers 11

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The captain's first responsibility is to the safety of the flight and the passengers. If the FO can't control himself enough to go one night without drinking and the captain can't persuade him to do what he needs to to cover his butt then he has a duty to do whatever is necessary to make sure that the FO doesn't get on the airplane. Any personal buddy/buddy considerations have to come second.

We've had enough trouble with drunk pilots recently that one would think we would be strictly abiding by the regs and company procedures regarding alcohol.

FlechasDid you mean "he shouldn't have put the captain in the situation in the first place"?

Pretty simple jscka$$ the fo should have been more responsable than to be drinking under 12 hours and put the captain in that situation.

I wouldn't want a jacka$$ like you or that fired fo in my airplane.

With all the media of the America West pilots now, I don't feel sorry for anyone who violates the drinking rule.

WJ

Towelie said:
Way to weigh in on something you know nothing about.

The Captain called for guidance and the F/O ended up calling Dispatch himself. The F/O was not "ratted on" by the Captain. He got canned because HE was drinking under 12 hours and he was still on probation.

No one got the F/O fired but himself. He should apologize to the Captain for even putting him in that situation.

Thanks for the clarification. So this is a different situation than the 'rock star' throwing his furniture off the balcony?

As nice a guy as I am, I've had F/O's removed for being 'sick'

Captain did the right thing....same thing I woulda done. If that FO is drunk, and the capt does nothing, then a fed shows up, guess who gets in trouble too?? That's RIIIIIIGHT!!! The 'sole authority and responsibility' for the safety of the flight does. How'd you like to have that on your record?

wjpilot said:
Pretty simple jscka$$ the fo should have been more responsable than to be drinking under 12 hours and put the captain in that situation.

I wouldn't want a jacka$$ like you or that fired fo in my airplane.

With all the media of the America West pilots now, I don't feel sorry for anyone who violates the drinking rule.

WJ

I was correcting your grammar you ignorant. This doesn't mean anything, maybe it's the way it sounds, but that's about it: "He shouldn't of put the captain in the situation in the first place."

I totally agree though, the Captain did the right thing.

Learn to write and then you can bitch all you want.

Let's see, by drinking under 12 hours he:

1. Disrespected the operating policies of the airline, thereby risking the reputation (and thereby profitability) of the airline. Would you want your airline to have a reputation for having a bunch of rowdy alcoholics?

2. Showed contempt for his fellow crewmembers by trying to show up for flying after drinking after hours (thinking he wouldn't get caught). I've been in this scenario, and let me tell you, the company AUTOMATICALLY assumes the whole crew is GUILTY.

3. Demonstrated extremely poor judgement by (probably) showing up under the influence to fly revenue passengers. And if not this time, he would've in the future. Someone who can't go without booze for a couple of days is an alcoholic . . . and is a incident/accident waiting to happen.

I hope the FAA yanked his ticket for good. This chump has no business transporting my loved ones. No-one would think twice about calling a bus company if they saw a driver sipping out of a flask . . . why should pilots be held to a lesser standard?

GetMyCoffee said:
Flechas, did you mean "I have a big hairy banana hanging out of my fudge packed ass?" You stupid butt pirate.
You guys have some weird fantasys about each other.

They weren't drunk.

He didn't show up to fly after drinking.

He misread his pattern.

They fired the two FA's that was with him.

And yes, the captain could have handled it a little different.

Broke in CVG said:
My Grandfather always told me, "Thank God for stupid people, if everyone was smart think how hard it would be to get a job."

I love that!

Latest resources

Back