Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
J

jackbo

A 9e buddy of mine said some jack@ss Mesaba captain ratted on his f.o. for drinking under 12 hours and got him fired.

If that is the case, that captain is scum of the lowest kind. I hope like he11 that I heard that wrong or that the story is different. Couldn't you just tell him to call in sick?

Do you know the whole story? Maybe the captain DID ask the FO to call in sick first, and the FO refused.

Anyway, the FO shouldn't have been drinking in the first place. The captain shouldn't need to call in sick to cover the FO's sorry ass. Why should we expect someone to cover for us when we knowingly do something illegal (in many ways) and fundementally stupid? Take some responsibility for your actions.

That said, I would probably insist that my fellow crewmember call in sick in that situation.

I don't have a dog in this fight since I don't work for Mesaba but I believe this incident was discussed here a couple of weeks ago. Use the search function, I don't think the captain ratted out the FO though. I could be wrong.........

If you can't control yourself enough to not drink 12 hrs prior to duty, then it's your own fault if you get fired. I don't know the whole story and it would have been much cooler if the captain called in sick FOR the FO.

At the same time, people need to start taking some RESPONSIBILITY for themselves. Good riddens to the drunk fo.

The fo got what he deserved. He shouldn't of put the captain in the situation in the first place.

jackbo said:
A 9e buddy of mine said some jack@ss Mesaba captain ratted on his f.o. for drinking under 12 hours and got him fired.

If that is the case, that captain is scum of the lowest kind. I hope like he11 that I heard that wrong or that the story is different. Couldn't you just tell him to call in sick?

Hey Jackbo are you sure you don't work at 9E. You sure do have the IQ and maturity of one of the Gulfstreams dipsticks.

jackbo said:

Way to weigh in on something you know nothing about.

The Captain called for guidance and the F/O ended up calling Dispatch himself. The F/O was not "ratted on" by the Captain. He got canned because HE was drinking under 12 hours and he was still on probation.

No one got the F/O fired but himself. He should apologize to the Captain for even putting him in that situation.

Jimdandy said:
Hey Jackbo are you sure you don't work at 9E. You sure do have the IQ and maturity of one of the Gulfstreams dipsticks.

Yeah, because you really sound so mature yourself. :rolleyes:

I had an FO that showed up downstairs for a 5:30am report waisted AND with a Bud Light in his hand. :) Told him to go call in sick... he said no he was ready to go. In this case I called the Chief Pilot directly, he was gone that afternoon after we deadheaded back. A beer, or even two beers less than 12 greater than 8 hours.... OK. Reporting with a Bud Light in your hand.... Priceless!!

True story! Some people shouldn't be in any kind of position of responsibility. This was one of them. We had a guy get booted from initial groundschool because he was drinking during the lunch break. And I am not talking about a beer during lunch!

My Grandfather always told me, "Thank God for stupid people, if everyone was smart think how hard it would be to get a job."

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back