Mesa?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gelopilot79 said:
I really didn't want to work there honestly cause of a few freinds that work there from what they told me about it. Grant it, I really would love to begin my jet-career going
Nothing personal here but you are a great example of what is wrong with this industry. You don't have 700TT, not even 100ME and you interview at a company that you don't want to work for just to get your "jet-career going". You were fully ready to work for a company that your own friends told you not to apply to just for the "allure" of a jet.

It's just Fricking sad. This is how the evil empire keeps expanding.

So far so good for me!! Love it! I left a 135 job to come to Mesa. At least I will know when my days off are vs. being on call 24/7. Its definitely what you make of it! Most ppl bitch and whine about Mesa, but they have no clue most of the time or have never worked there, they just listen to other ppl complain. You cant expect to go from a CFI or jump pilot gig right into a jet getting 15 days off a month and making over 100k/yr. You will bust your a$$ at Mesa and some of the things in their contract are lame, but there is consistency here and we dont have all our eggs in one basket. Mesa deals with multiple majors' so at least you have a little more job security. Attrition is high, but so are upgrades. We have 20 upgrades just announced in the CRJ alone. Say whatcha say, but its all about you and your attitude. If you listen to all of us complain then you will have it etched in your mind that certain airlines are better and some are crap. Good luck! Make the best of it wherever you go! (when you get your time up)

Spinplate said:
You cant expect to go from a CFI or jump pilot gig right into a jet getting 15 days off a month and making over 100k/yr.
Sorry, you wanna expand on that? 100k/yr of what? Certainly not dinero americano.

RJP, reread his post! It says... "you CAN'T expect...".

I WOULD TAKE THE GIG (@Mesa) even if it was only for six months...At least that would make my resume more competitive w/ the thousands of other Comair, Mesaba and whoever other furloughed folks out there......Heck it's better than just having Mom n' Pops Flight School on Paper........Besides all of you guys doing the Bitchin' and moanin' already have the 135/and or 121 experience, stop giving hell to the people trying to get a foot in the door!

dueguard1 said:
I WOULD TAKE THE GIG (@Mesa) even if it was only for six months...At least that would make my resume more competitive w/ the thousands of other Comair, Mesaba and whoever other furloughed folks out there......Heck it's better than just having Mom n' Pops Flight School on Paper........Besides all of you guys doing the Bitchin' and moanin' already have the 135/and or 121 experience, stop giving hell to the people trying to get a foot in the door!

And the race to the bottom continues...

With all due respect, you just don't get it. It's attitudes such as yours that's part of the problem with the industry today. It's called SJS.

Someday, when YOU have more experience, you might actually understand where those of us with FAR more experience are coming from.

Rant over...

HMM

Why not go to CommutAir, get your time and leave.

Also I have a question about this...(Also where did you go to school?)
...to be granted the interview since they were coming here to conduct interviews...and got to fly out to PHX for free.

If Mesa came to you, why did they fly you to PHX?

For the Mesa folks--(no flames, please)

two things that I experienced at EXA (and I guess still go on at PCL) that drove me insane were:

1. Pay was consistently wrong every month--Entitled to pay credit for say 90 hours, actual flight time (in the computer) 86 hours but still only paid 76-happened almost every month

2. Constant extensions, junior-manning and pushing the legal to start/legal to finish envelope as a means of staffing the airline.

I have never seen this anywhere else and was wondering if you deal with this at Mesa.

Descriptions are right on the money. There is no BS about it working at Mesa is HELL, and I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone. I sat reserve as a Dash Captain for almost 2 years. I sat ready reserve hundreds of times. I talked to crew tracking (truely satan) on a daily basis. I was always ALWAYS on the cusp of 30 in 7. Reduced Rest is scheduled on approximately 60% of the overnights. The remaining 40% consists of 18+ hour sits in outstations.

In a 28 Day bid period, expect at least 4 4-day trips worth 14~ hours. They will regularly use the "you're making per diem" as an excuse. A whole $1.17 an hour.

When you shoot an approach down to mins twice and decide to return to your departure airport as your alternate, be prepared for crew tracking to call you and tell you the trip has been cancelled. This means you just worked for free.. A violation of the contract? Yes! but who cares... They'll tell you to grieve it and nothing will ever happen... In fact the union will use these grievances as bargaining chips for issues like PBS and Narrowbody rates.

In almost 2 years I've been shorted at least 2000 Dollars of pay, and now I'm engaged in battle over about $3500 that they owe me upon resignation. When I say battle, I mean dept of labor kindof stuff... You have to fill out a timesheet.... Yes, A timesheet.... every month. Good luck with that. They don't pay you correctly anyhow, so it's all symantics.

The management pilots for the most part are a "good old boys club" (with the exception of the System Chief Pilot who is awesome) and if they don't like you, be prepared to reap the consequences. If they do like you, you can violate FARs and even criminal laws and be promoted to their ranks.

The list of bad is endless... Seriously I could go on all day... Do not come to Mesa... I was singing a different tune for my first 6 months, but honestly with the aquisition of a certain crew sched manager from CoEx this place went from barely tolerable, to unbearable.

HowlinMadMurdoc said:
And the race to the bottom continues...

With all due respect, you just don't get it. It's attitudes such as yours that's part of the problem with the industry today. It's called SJS.

Someday, when YOU have more experience, you might actually understand where those of us with FAR more experience are coming from.

Rant over...

HMM

Hey Murdoc,
How many mainline folks did you care about back when you took your first regional gig, did you even think ....
"Hey I'm taking away work from the Mainline, Hmm Let me not take this job because, Ohh I'm racing to the bottom myself"

Yeah right give me a break!

Latest resources

Back