• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa to file bankruptcy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you're out of cash and can't raise any your outside vendors cut you off. If you can't get parts DMI's start to expire and planes go AOG and don't move. Chapter 11 may help with the $37.8 million but not your opperating expenses, if you can't pay those you can' continue to operate. I think the final implosion will happen very quickly and sooner than you might think. My bet is they won't make it until June, file ch. 11 to forestall the June 16 payment then nothing but smoke and rubble within a week. Noone is going to accept MESA stock in lieu of cash, that is J.O.'s pipe dream.

Those are awfully good points.

Mesa's vendors wont cut them off. This fuel thing is going to turn into another 9-11 and vendors will be begging for any business they can get wherever they can get it. After 9-11 Mesa got some of those ERJ's for a song.

My guess: BK and suspend the leases in the ERJ 145s. Continue ops everywhere else.

That's not all he's going to suspend...

20% across-the-board pay cut, and the "final solution" for the few remaining workrules.

You will HAVE to answer the phone on your day off.

Schedules will be assigned on a day-by-day basis...you find out what you're doing tomorrow at 1800 today.

Days off will be FAR days off...24 hours in an hotel in DTW, then back for 6 more days.

If your trip finishes out-of-domicile, no space-positive home

etc, etc.

Mesa's vendors wont cut them off. This fuel thing is going to turn into another 9-11 and vendors will be begging for any business they can get wherever they can get it. After 9-11 Mesa got some of those ERJ's for a song.

They may have got them for a song after 9/11, but now they couldn't dump them for a mousefart.

The DAL/NWA merger will leave some dance partners available for UAL and U to replace Mesa.

J.O.'s screaming down the street in one of his motorcycles with bad barakes and is heading for a tree.

I LOVE it !

Speaking of cuts after 9/11, when I was there the rumor was that the braintrust approached ALPA and asked that crews be consolidated to a single room for overnights.

They said no (thank god). However, in BK, this simple contract provision may go by the wayside. Ugh!

I can see it now:

TV remote will be assigned by seniority order . . .

Ask any Mesaba or Comair employees how long it took to get the concessions implemented. The company cannot unilaterally throw the contract out the window RIGHT AWAY. If the company wants concessions they have to negotiate them with the unions. If that doesn't work, like in the cases of Comair and Mesaba, they file an 1113.c case and take it to court. It was a long, tiring and drama filled process to get the concessions from labor. And even then, they spent more money litigating than they saved in our give backs. Unfortunately the law will actually require the unions to talk about concessions to the devil, I mean JO. It's not like things change overnight, but I don't think Mesa has near the staying power in Ch11 than Mesaba or Comair.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back