• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa is hiring (?)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seems to me that the good news will be when the majors start recalling and hiring. When the regionals are hiring that just means that more "major" jobs are being replaced.

This is my opinion, of course.

Sounds like it could work for a younger pilot with good financial backing.

I believe that quite a few career changers in the mid-30-45 age range (some older from what I have heard) have been filling quite a few of the slots in the training program. It would be quite interesting to hear the actual age breakdown. The asst. chief pilot at Freedom went through this program not too long ago and I heard he was 45ish or so when he entered. I don't think it is tailored for the "younger" since the set up is quite strict and you have very little margin to screw anything up if you intend to get the interview....

3 5 0

"Older" MAPD students

350DRIVER said:
I believe that quite a few career changers in the mid-30-45 age range (some older from what I have heard) have been filling quite a few of the slots in the training program.
I recall from ten years ago that we had a number of students in their late twenties and early thirties. Several were Desert Storm vets.
I don't think it is tailored for the "younger" since the set up is quite strict and you have very little margin to screw anything up if you intend to get the interview....
(emphasis added)

I can vouch for that. See my post above. But I had one younger student in particular who was outstanding - one of the best students I had in six years of instructing. Cooperative, mature, disciplined and a quick study. I am 99.99999% sure Mesa hired him. I would be flabbergasted if it did not.

I was theorizing about the appropriateness for younger students becauase of costs and lower pay, which suggests to me that it is a student that does well were there has financial support from parents, and student loans where there are no mortgage payments or costs of children.

It's refreshing to hear of a 45 year old being a part of a successful program. There is an exception to every rule.

How would one try and get a job at Mesa? The website everybody's giving links to is for San Juan college or something like that. Does Mesa hire pilots directly, or do they expect you to go to that college and spend lots of money there?

just curious

MAPD

boeingav8r said:
Does Mesa hire pilots directly, or do they expect you to go to that college and spend lots of money there?
Graduates of MAPD (who do what they're supposed to do, follow the program, and keep their mouths shut) are guaranteed an interview with Mesa Airlines at 300 hours.

Maybe this MAPD site might have answers to your questions.

thanks bobby for your reply..... I guess more specifically what I'm asking is this. Does Mesa hire 3000 hour experienced pilots the traditional way....you know, sending in your resume, calling the chief pilot, etc....
Or, are they only interested in hiring the young low time pilots to come dump lots of $$$ in their academy and get a "guaranteed" interview.

Thanks

I guess more specifically what I'm asking is this. Does Mesa hire 3000 hour experienced pilots the traditional way....you know, sending in your resume, calling the chief pilot, etc....

Very simple answer is yes. No need to call the chief pilot, that is what Lori is there for. She will send you the packet with everything included in it most likely via an email and you fill it out, blah, blah, blah...

My resume was emailed to her via email/mail then I was sent the packet. Do not bother the chief pilot since there is no need to do that to get the interview.

are they only interested in hiring the young low time pilots to come dump lots of $$$ in their academy and get a "guaranteed" interview.

Negative ..... There are no way enough grads coming out of the program to fill the ground school slots. This probably will never happen and you will continue to see hiring done the "traditional" way for a long time to come.

3 5 0

Don't mean to be negative.......BUT,
Mesa is bringing down the regional industry standards for all of us. My company is currently trying to negotiate a 70 seater payscale and we're gonna have a hard time achieving something reasonable because of them. Not just them of course but they definitely play a huge part of the equation!
No beef towards their employees. I'm sure they're just trying to pay bills like everyone else.

Latest resources

Back