Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bobbysamd

Take a look at the MAPD home page.

I hope this is true. That would be a good sign for the economy. Hasn't Mesa worked out some new feeder deals with a couple of majors.

On the other hand, this very well may be Kit Darby-inspired pilot shortage boosterism.

I don't want to approach this from a negative standpoint..

..but isn't this a case of more people out of the flying public being flown by a carrier group that pays a lower wage and has less benefits and poorer working conditions than other regional carriers? In other words, does this truly mean more pilot jobs becoming available, or does it mean that more pilot jobs will be under the MESA umbrella?

I was under the impression that MESA was financialy secure because they spent less money on everything, including crews. Is that view incorrect?

bobbysamd said:
Take a look at the MAPD home page.

I hope this is true. That would be a good sign for the economy. Hasn't Mesa worked out some new feeder deals with a couple of majors.

On the other hand, this very well may be Kit Darby-inspired pilot shortage boosterism.

Please....mesa is not good for the economy. Cut the majority of us pilots with pride a break...the onlyt hing mesa does is bring the quality of life and paychecks down!

Do your research!

Mesa is hiring

skydrvr said:
Please....mesa is not good for the economy. Cut the majority of us pilots with pride a break...the onlyt hing mesa does is bring the quality of life and paychecks down!
I know about Mesa. I worked for that company for a while. The place probably was worse ten years ago when the Risleys were running it and beating back organizing efforts.

It would just be nice to hear some good news about hiring picking up. If Mesa is hiring, maybe others will be hiring as well. I prefer to view it positively - though I suspect there's a good measure of flight school sales pitch thrown in.

Having said that, the school's program speaks for itself. Why should it beg the question?

Bobby,

I do think that the program speaks for itself and obviously it is probably the quickest way to get from zero flight hours to the right seat of a 1900, CRJ, etc, etc,. The most impressive variable in the program is that you must prove your abilities from day one all the way until the end. Surely shows a younger individual about what hard work and persistance is all about if they intend to be successful in that program. I had a few friends go through the program and they had nothing but good things to say about the way it was set up as well as the way that they were pushed to the limit on a daily basis.

3 5 0

MAPD

350DRIVER said:
The most impressive variable in the program is that you must prove your abilities from day one all the way until the end.
Absolutely. I had one student who had been injured in the AF and felt and acted as if he was owed. I was given this individual probably because I was a new MAPD instructor. Lucky me. He tried to make unreasonable demands on my schedule, refused to be scheduled on the weekend, which were my regular workdays, and argued with me about technique during his IFR x-c. "The interview" was his to lose. He lost it. To this day, I'll never understand how anyone could blow such an opportunity.

check out their "other training oppurtunities" link on the left side of the page. it seems qualified applicants can do their ATP ride with them (~$1100) and they guarantee an interview that route too :p

Mesa ATP Program

wingnutt said:
check out their "other training oppurtunities" link on the left side of the page. it seems qualified applicants can do their ATP ride with them (~$1100) and they guarantee an interview that route too :p
But the catch is you must pass the first time. If you don't, you get a recheck but no interview.

We had a few ATP clients comes through during the brief time I was there ten years ago. Things might have changed since then, but I recall that applicants got something like one or two flights in the Baron before the practical. Mesa check airmen who were also DEs gave the practical. There were those who passed -- and those who failed. It is a crapshoot pay-for-interview scheme, and another profit center for Mesa. One thing at which Mesa has excelled is making money. Undoubtedly it makes money two ways from MAPD, through training costs and by underpaying grads who are hired, but I think there's value in it in the long run in terms of opportunity.

Latest resources

Back