Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mesa Airline

Slice121 said:
Wow, pretty clever! You make that up yourself sitting in your double-wide? :rolleyes:
Even people in the trailer park have some sort of standards, unlike other travelers who are willing to fly on there airline.

SEVEN said:
Mesa Airlines Sucks. They are the bottom feeders of the industry. They give every professional regional airline pilot a worthless name. Pay some 19 year old kid with 300 hours $17,000 a year so he can flip switches and then go home and tell his mommy and daddy he's a "real" airline pilot now. Meanwhile, decent Americans with families are sitting in the back of those jets clueless to the fact that the yahoo FOs should be home playing videogames instead of risking their lives so that Mesa management can save a few bucks at the cost of safety. The truth is, it can only last for a little while until that inexperience is matched with an inexperienced captain. Scary.

Just my opinion.
What regional airline doesn't pay their new hires crap wages. Mesa is not the only ones. I think I made 18k my first year and it wasn't at mesa.

Trailer Trash

TrailerTrash said:
Even people in the trailer park have some sort of standards, unlike other travelers who are willing to fly on there airline.
We have some pilots who flew at Mesa Airlines and the storys about that airline are scary.

when they pay the lowest and have the worst work rules in the entire industry, why is 300tt a surprise. Easy to be a whore when you're living on peanuts flight instructing.

With all due respect, I believe your biases are getting in the way of your common sense. A larger number of European airlines including British Airways, Sabena, Lufthansa, and KLM get their pilots from schools almost exactly like the MPD program.

There is one very important difference between the European ab initio programs and the US. In Europe, the company is paying for the training (much like the military) so the selection process is very selective and the washout rate is high. In the US, the students are paying for the training, so the companies select students based on their ability to pay, not on their skills as potential pilots. Kinda hard to wash somebody out when they are paying your bills, and if you don't hire at least 90 percent of the students who go to (insert favorite airline owned academy here) then you are not going to find students who are going to pay the overinflated prices these academies demand. A washout rate of 10% or less tells you that they are only bouncing the dorks who can barely find the airplane, and many are hired only because they had the $$$ to pay for their job, not because of their skills.

That being said, there are some highly skilled pilots that come out of these programs, but they are the exception, and not the rule.

Indy319, you are right. I have a friend who has gone through the Lufthansa training program, and yes, at a little more than 300 hours, he is in the right seat of an Airbus. However, he started with 27 (i think) other people, and only 3 are still there. They are tested constantly, everyday is a new day to fail out. Some folks he was telling me don't fail out, they just can't stay with it mentally and personally. The Mesa program is for Aholes whose parents have the bucks to send them and for the kids who think they are above instructing and night freight and deserve to be an airline pilot. Those are the fcukers who will one day be part of a smoking hole in the ground.

CC

Seems there are others here that wouldn't fly on them either. Guess I'm not the only one being "dramatic".

sflax said:
These things happen at all the airlines, I was jump seating, a few weeks ago on a United 767, and the captian came in so low, the GPWS went off and the F/O had to react.

That's the dangerous part of landing, son. You have to get so close to the ground!

I hate it when those F/O's react, just hate it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back