• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa CRJ Clipboard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's my .02 for new captains, especially at Mesa.

Everyone employed at this airline has one goal, and one goal only. That's to get you to get airborne. On time. Now. NOW NOW NOW NOW. This includes dispatchers. Crew Trackers. Your Mechanics. Even your chief pilot. This is not de facto a bad thing, but remember this . . . . .

There is only one person out there who's job is to SLOW DOWN and make sure everything is legal, correctly signed off, and above all SAFE. That person is YOU. No one else is going to put the brakes on to slow things down while trying to keep a schedule, and no one is going to thank you when you miss an on-time because you're double or triple checking. But that's YOUR job.

MX trying to get you to get a plane home to fix and you're not comfortable? So what. Stop, and call as many people you need to to get comfortable. Crew tracking telling you you're legal and you don't think you are? So what. Stop, and start re-counting things in the logbook until you're sure. Dispatch throwing you into the teeth of a storm with a broken airplane on the theory that "you can divert if you need to?" Screw that. Plead your case to as many people as you need to to make them see the light.

To summarize: SLOW DOWN. You're the only person who will, because you're the first person that will hang when something goes wrong.

Everyone employed at this airline has one goal, and one goal only. That's to get you to get airborne. On time. Now. NOW NOW NOW NOW. This includes dispatchers. Crew Trackers. Your Mechanics. Even your chief pilot. This is not de facto a bad thing, but remember this . . . . .

There is only one person out there who's job is to SLOW DOWN and make sure everything is legal, correctly signed off, and above all SAFE. That person is YOU. No one else is going to put the brakes on to slow things down while trying to keep a schedule, and no one is going to thank you when you miss an on-time because you're double or triple checking. But that's YOUR job.

MX trying to get you to get a plane home to fix and you're not comfortable? So what. Stop, and call as many people you need to to get comfortable. Crew tracking telling you you're legal and you don't think you are? So what. Stop, and start re-counting things in the logbook until you're sure. Dispatch throwing you into the teeth of a storm with a broken airplane on the theory that "you can divert if you need to?" Screw that. Plead your case to as many people as you need to to make them see the light.

To summarize: SLOW DOWN. You're the only person who will, because you're the first person that will hang when something goes wrong.

Now that's something that SHOULD be on your clipboard.

Best Advice ever!!! oh...he should have upgraded into the ERJ ;-)

Perhaps, but several of the items listed would not be aircraft specific. Sorry if my mind seems troubled- I just cant help but think that if you need a private pilot-style kneeboard you're probably not ready to upgrade.

There are many things that you will not use in daily operations. These are things that it may be helpful to have a quick reference of, rather than having to dig through GOMs/CFMs.

I suppose it is also stupid to use a checklist after you have a couple hundred hours in the airplane, right? No? Why not... I mean, by then, you really SHOULD know what you need to do before starting the engines, right? Charts are dumb too... I've done this approach many times.

But then again, you're super pilot, so you know everything.

get a piece of plywood, carve in some memory items, and your little goodnight prayer, strap it to your knee.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back