Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa Air Group Settles Aloha Lawsuit and Agrees to Enter Long Term Licensing Agreemen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It only stipulates the supension is throught 1/16/09. Not statement on what happens after that... Could start enforcing the rules again.

Why would they extend it just one more month?

They didn't expand it just for MESA, it was a temporary measure because of the huge number of stocks that slid below the $1 mark in Oct. Had they not suspended this rule it would have generated a huge amount of paperwork and cost to NASDAQ. To be honest, I am not sure whether this even applies to MESA since their stock has been below $1 since early spring and they had already been notified of delisting. Who knows....

This applies to Companies that fell out compliance after the Oct date and does not apply to MESA since they have not been in compliance since spring and such they will still be booted Dec 15th.

Effective immediately, NASDAQ has suspended the enforcement of the rules requiring a
minimum $1 closing bid price.

• Effective immediately, NASDAQ has also suspended the enforcement of the rules
requiring a minimum market value of publicly held shares (MVPHS).

• NASDAQ will not take any action to delist any security for these concerns during the
suspension.

• The suspension will remain in effect through Friday, January 16, 2009. These rules will
be reinstated on Monday, January 19, 2009.

Given the current extraordinary market conditions, NASDAQ has determined to suspend the
bid price and market value of publicly held shares requirements through Friday, January 16,
2009. In that regard, on October 16, 2008, NASDAQ filed an immediately effective rule change
with the Securities and Exchange Commission, such that companies will not be cited for any
new concerns related to bid price or market value of publicly held shares deficiencies. These
rules will be reinstated on Monday, January 19, 2009.

As a result of the suspension, all companies presently in the compliance process will remain at
that same stage of the process. However, if such a company is presently subject to being
delisted for concerns not related to the bid price or market value of publicly held shares
requirements, it will continue in that process with respect to those other concerns. Over the
next few days, NASDAQ staff will contact each company affected by this suspension to discuss
the specific impact to the company. NASDAQ will continue to monitor companies to determine
if they regain compliance with these requirements during the suspension.

NASDAQ believes that this temporary suspension will allow companies to focus on running
their businesses, rather than satisfying market-based requirements that are largely beyond
their control in the current environment. Moreover, this temporary suspension should help to
restore investor confidence in affected NASDAQ companies as the suspension will allow
investors to make decisions without considering the likelihood of a very near-term delisting. In
the coming months, NASDAQ will continue to monitor the affect that market conditions are
having on the operation of our rules.

Last edited:
Does anyone know...

In typical corporate bankruptcy cases, do the customers (in this case, Delta, US Air, etc..) have the legal right to dump the bankrupt supplier? More specifically, if Mesa goes BK, can Delta automatically terminate their supply relationship, like they've been trying to do for a while now?

If the answer is yes, then one way of looking at this move by Mesa is that they might be thinking that BK is a given, and they're looking to get out of the regional business altogether. In BK, they can restructure, shed some debt and planes, enter into new leases, and create a new (old) identity as "Aloha" with larger planes. The larger planes would only be possible, scope wise I assume, if they exited their current regional contracts.

If it's true that they have over $100M due in the next few months, I don't see any way they can avoid BK. I think they're on track for something like $35M in cash by year end. I can't imagine any way that they can convince either creditors or potential owners that their current business model is worth an additional $100M in this tight environment. After all, they probably need more than $35M in cash reserves just to continue normal business operations.

I think a key thing here is whether the major carrier customers can terminate the supply relationship if a supplier goes BK. If so, I think Mesa might be looking for a different avenue of survival.

According to Comair's ex President, yes if Mesa files for BK the disputed contract between Mesa and DL is moot as there is a very black and white provision that allows DL to walk away if there is any material change in ownership - ie BK = creditors become the owners.

However, if you look at Mesa's SEC 14A filling...

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/default.aspx?companyid=6367

they are attempting to get shareholder approval to issue more common stock to use to pay off the bonds in early 2009. Currently under NASDAQ/SEC rules they can not issue more than 20% of the outstanding shares without shareholder approval. Which would amount to additional 5,385,071 shares @ $0.30 which would only give them $1,615,521 - FAR SHORT of the $97 million they need. They want to issue 315,000,000 shares to raise $94,500,000 to pay off the bonds.

There are currently 26.86 million shares outstanding and they want to issue another 315 million???? That would dilute the shares to approximately $0.02 a share!

So.... I think JO's plan is to try to issue shares to buy off the bonds and then declare BK. He is about to buy off those bonds with what amounts to toliet paper (315 million shares worth $0.02) and then flush the company.

Boonga, Boonga or Death by Boonga, Boonga.

Last edited:
If it's true that they have over $100M due in the next few months, I don't see any way they can avoid BK. I think they're on track for something like $35M in cash by year end. I can't imagine any way that they can convince either creditors or potential owners that their current business model is worth an additional $100M in this tight environment. After all, they probably need more than $35M in cash reserves just to continue normal business operations.

But when you read reports of JO, he makes it sound like everything is alright. Keeps talking about the future. Doesn't sound like someone who is about to file BK. I'm willing to bet they've found some kind of investment opportunity or something.

But when you read reports of JO, he makes it sound like everything is alright. Keeps talking about the future. Doesn't sound like someone who is about to file BK. I'm willing to bet they've found some kind of investment opportunity or something.

Mesa pilots should vote NO on their TA.

JO has something going and they will be screw

Latest resources

Back