• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Mesa Air Group looks bleak"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But the other part of me does not want it to fail because of all the pilots that would be on the street.

They've got 160 airplanes, that means 1600 pilots will be needed in the industry. That will cover all the furloughs from other airlines and help get most of these guys get a job. A quarter will probably leave the profession anyways. Unfortunately for the good of the industry there has to be a sacrifice, management has to understand they can't get away with Mesa tactics in this day and age. No offense to Mesa pilots, I'm sure they understand anyways.

You should sacrifice your airline then if you want to save jobs... I'm tired of hearing pilots from other airlines being greedy and wanting to sacrifice others for the sake of bettering themself. This is how we got into this mess in the first place in this industry. I have learned that the airline industry is not a brotherhood at all, rather a backstabbing, take what you can get to better yourself, industry.

Mesa management sucks bad, but were just as pissed about what has become of this industry as you have. Watch us vote this new TA down with flying colors. We want change that bad. If you have talked with a mesa pilot lately you would know. While other regionals are taking paycuts, mesa pilots are probably the only ones with the balls to do everything we can to risk it all for a pay raise/better contract, or we will shut it down ourself.

We don't need other pilots from other airlines talking trash, and telling us to go away. You guys really need to grow up and support us instead. You can go away to save others jobs then if that is the way you look at it, we are going to keep fighting to fix it or else we will poor fuel on the fire ourself.

Believe me we are risking alot to get what we want in MAG's current condition, and the odds are already against us. We don't care anymore though. We need huge improvement, or were gonna burn it down ourself. We are tired of abuse by Mesa and all the other crap we get by pilots of other airlines who talk the talk but haven't walked the walk, unless your at Comair back in the day, then you had balls. All new hires since then should still keep there trap shut. They havent done a thing but ride the train.

I have pilots at mesa I don't want to see without a job either so poo on you.

Last edited:
Mesa management sucks bad, but were just as pissed about what has become of this industry as you have. Watch us vote this new TA down with flying colors. We want change that bad. If you have talked with a mesa pilot lately you would know. While other regionals are taking paycuts, mesa pilots are probably the only ones with the balls to do everything we can to risk it all for a pay raise/better contract, or we will shut it down ourself.

I'll be impressed if Mesa pilots stick up for a contract that leads the industry, but I don't think it will happen. I doubt you will get a contract that is at industry standards. I hope you do. In the end, it may not matter, given the state of the company. Morningstar is 15 for 16 on predicting companies headed for bankruptcy.

I agree we are not going to avoid going bankrupt but that doesn't mean we are going chapter 7 yet. Either way, we have plenty of fuel ready to dump on the fire just incase...

I agree we are not going to avoid going bankrupt but that doesn't mean we are going chapter 7 yet.

Mesa management should have filed Chapter 11 months ago. The longer they avoid it, the closer they will come to running out of cash. Filing bankruptcy when you can't make payroll leaves virtually no options. Aloha followed the same strategy.

The only thing that can possibly prevent a bankruptcy now is a new 50 seat deal with Delta that includes growth.

Well I don't know much about this TA but they're saying it's worse than the old one. Good luck, though why do I get the feeling that it's not going to be a landslide NO as you claim.... Hopefully I'm wrong for the sake of the regional airlines.

Mesa management should have filed Chapter 11 months ago. The longer they avoid it, the closer they will come to running out of cash. Filing bankruptcy when you can't make payroll leaves virtually no options. Aloha followed the same strategy.

The only thing that can possibly prevent a bankruptcy now is a new 50 seat deal with Delta that includes growth.

They wanted to delay it so they don't lose all the contracts. Either way mesa is screwed. Unless they find 90 million the company has to flie bk. So you're right they probably could have salvaged something if they still had cash left, probably not...

Last edited:
It would be suicide for the bond holders to demand repayment. Mesa has the luxury of repaying them with stock. If the shareholders authorize the issuance of more stock, the bondholders will have two problems. One, they will have worthless diluted stock and two, they will now have an unsecured claim in the bankruptcy.

With respect to the codeshare agreements. UAL and Airways would be better off renegotiating a smaller contract with Mesa with no 50 seaters than simply terminating their contracts as no carrier can ramp up service fast enough to replace Mesa. If Mesa emerges from bankruptcy, it will be a much smaller company and the lessors of the 50 seaters are going to find parking spaces for big bunch of jets.

With respect to the codeshare agreements. UAL and Airways would be better off renegotiating a smaller contract with Mesa with no 50 seaters than simply terminating their contracts as no carrier can ramp up service fast enough to replace Mesa. .

No single carrier could replace Mesa, but on the Airways side, PSA, Repubic, Piedmont and Air Whiskey have all had cutbacks, and could replace the Mesa flying fairly quickly. Somethings up at Piedmont, we are fat on reserves for the first time anybody can remember. I don't think we are not furloughing because of company charity.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back