• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Melted Engines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So why no accident report on this? Does the FAA not want the public to know how unsafe they really are?

What's the deal? Publish it, including the CVR, no matter how bad it is.

The CRJ is not meant to go much above 280 -310.... Pushing it up to 340 (or as the PNCL guys did) max alt. is a very risky plan... Unless empty with min fuel, it just isn't powerful enough. Period....

Not sure if serious...?

The CRJ-200 flies just fine in the mid-30s, you just 1. have to keep speed on the wing during the climb, and 2. it takes you a good long while to get there.

Sure the plane is underpowered, and high ISA temps combined with heavy weights give it the 'climb restricted jet' moniker. But for farks sake, its not like the plane is teetering in coffin corner at FL340 or even higher, where only Chuck Yeager and Tim Martins dare to fly it.

Don't let the swept wing get slow and it'll be just fine.

Lemme tell ya for those that want the badge of honor, there is no real difference between cruising around at 280 or 380....
Probably just a thousand pounds per hour of fuel.

Just got refiled today for a pack deferral.....difference between FL 330 and 250 was 140lbs. That's it......about $70 of fuel that UA, DL, AA pays anyway. That's it! Altitude in the CRJ200 is almost immaterial. Why bother???

I preffer Speed Mode in a climb, with Turb. mode engaged. Works like a champ. Only need to be on the lookout in the mid 20s for a climb rate less than 500fpm. Its more accurate and precise than fumbling V/S mode all the way through the climb, while flying a fluctuating climb speed of +/- 10 knots.

Are you on the -700/900? The -200, when heavy (yea yea, it's relative) and isa + anything over "0" doesn't play well in speed mode above about FL180. VS out of 10K with a reduction above FL180-210 down to 1.0/then.7/final of .5 (depending on weight and ISA) keeps you at 290/.74 (slowing to .70 into the 30's) has worked well over the last 4K+ hours in my personal opinion.

Just got refiled today for a pack deferral.....difference between FL 330 and 250 was 140lbs. That's it......about $70 of fuel that UA, DL, AA pays anyway. That's it! Altitude in the CRJ200 is almost immaterial. Why bother???

What is not immaterial is ($70/flight x 365) x 500 flts/day = $12,775,000/yr.

Almost worse case scenario but it's still a lot of coin. It's a pass through cost so it doesn't matter...right? Well, until you get hired at mainline.

Because being dead on the bucket for some random, arbitrary climb speed is more important than passenger comfort.

I hear this argument all the time and I think it's irrelevant like the flight spoilers argument. Jet vs prop is a difference passengers can feel. Passengers don't notice small oscillations from speed mode in the climb or the slight rumble from speed brakes.

Even I can't remember myself ever thinking after a flight that the pilot oscillated too much during the climb or I was uncomfortable from flight spoiler noise.

I notice them both when in the back. Especially flight spoilers. I can not stand over use of those things. Some guys even use then with power in. Where does the company find these bozo's?

Because being dead on the bucket for some random, arbitrary climb speed is more important than passenger comfort.

Are you dead in the head???? What is the difference between an adjustment in v/s with speed mode and v/s???? The nose is gonna'move either way..........

I'm on the CRJ-200, for the previous poster that wanted to know. One thing I didn't mention- I use v/s mode to get myself roughly established on my climb speed. Then I Speed Mode it with Turb Mode on. Nice climb with no oscillating or fingering the MCP...

I notice them both when in the back.

Me too...and more non-pilot passengers than many flight crews realize.

Its not the noise from flight spoilers that gets passengers' attention - its the associated airframe rumble. Almost as startling to pax as the 12 gauge that goes off in the floor when 90% of CR2s put their landing gear down, or the stupid pumps that whir on an Airbus.

But if ya need the boards, use the boards...just please put them in slowly, one notch at a time, vs. the straight pull to full spoilers that many oblivious pilots seem to do.

Latest resources

Back