• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MEI Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand where you're coming from. I think the context here is perhaps somewhat misplaced, because this site is almost exclusively frequented by those operating in the US. A similiar discussion on PPrune, for example, will likely yield an entirely different tack.

The FAA;s position with me in the past has been to push the issue, asking what I'd do if arriving at minimums and finding the runway occupied by another airplane, or an instruction to go around by the tower. My answer is always the same; the runway isn't the only place to land, and I know that immediately in front of me is crash rescue, an obstacle free area, and some semblance of order.

I can't say the same for the neighborhood off the end of the runway, or any of the surrounding areas on the attempted missed approach and return for landing.

On more than one occasion in the past, employers for whom I have operated have seen multiple engine failures. More recently, several failures within a very short time frame on a four engine airplane. Simply because one is still running doesn't mean it will stay that way for long.

I do understand where you're coming from. I've been in the position of having to teach or present or support certain policies or practices with which I didn't fully agree, but which were the approved and designated practices and techniques of an employer. In such cases, while I presented the material as advertised, I also allowed my own views on the subject to be known and advised the student to hear all sides of the story. I'm sure you do the same.

I would echo Avbug on this for the main reason of you just don't know once one engine goes off if the other isn't going to be right behind it. Especially given the overwhelming reason for engine failure is fuel starvation.

The trickiest part of twin instruction is teaching decision making not how you fly a twin.

[edit]Not that I don't agree and see where you are coming from as well sqwkvfr. Just making a general comment.

Last edited:
The trickiest part of twin instruction is teaching decision making not how you fly a twin.

AC - you hit the nail on the head with that comment. IMHO with the quickie schools and the cookie cutter approach to flight training we do not spend enough time working on Decision Making Skills.

With a twin aircraft compared to a single engine, there is more than just one more engine to think about. I think Instructors should spend more time asking the student "what would you do in this case" to determine how the student is thinking to ensure the thought process is good and progressing with the learning how to fly the aircraft.

During a rating ride one of the big failure items is not being able to make a good decision. Remember the PTS states (and I will have to look for the correct quote, but) the success of the flight can never be in doubt. The applicant must demonstrate that THEY are in command of the aircraft not the Examiner/Inspector or (as I have seen) even the aircraft is more in command than the applicant. And part of being in command is making good decisions.

Judgment comes with experience. It's hard to teach and retain as it's very dynamic in nature. Judgment is the end result of a cumulation of knowledge and experience in a wide range of areas which come together to form a sound judgment call.

The rote procedures can be attained within a few hours and it seems like 10 hours (give or take) has become the magic number. One can learn how to fly the plane at a minimum skill level and rattle off a few memorized items and numbers within this time frame.

A temporary certificate has always been a license to learn.

Oh yeah, and I've seen the plane fly pilots rather than the other way around. It's this glazed over, frozen look of not knowing what to do.

Amish, I agree that Judgement does come with experience. That does not mean that Instructors can't get the student started on the right road to good decision making. I have noticed that in the students I asked what they would do in a specific situation and we would discuss options - they are better prepared to have better judgement when they are on their own.

Flying the aircraft makes you the operator of a machine, on top of that, using good judgement makes you in command of the aircraft.

Latest resources

Back