Medical in OKC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Helpful hints

If you don't have any names yet at all, try www.avweb.com and do a database search on medical examiners in the area in question. Then you can look up each one specifically to see if they're set up to do First Class medicals. (btw, it's sometimes surprising to see how many aren't.....guess the EKG thing is just too expensive for some to justify the expense).

Then, I'd recommend calling around for pricing....it can run the gammit from around $125 to well over $200.

Next, I'd ask any old timer airline guys in the area who they use. This will be a good clue as to who is the cheapest and easiest. Just a word of advice though. Sometimes cheap doesn't always mean easy. My old AME died last fall. Had seen him for 15 years, and I was always in and out of the office in less than 10 minutes, including the EKG. So I had to find a new guy. I shopped around and picked the lowest priced doc I could find, since I was on furlough. I'd say at least 75%-80% of his business were airline dudes, so I figured not only cheap, but very easy. Well, he was cheap, but it was the first time in 23 years of FAA medicals that I had to drop trou for anybody.

But, hey, maybe that's why he was so popular! Good luck.;)

"OK, let's turn your head and cough for me."
"Hey, wait a second there doc!":eek:

The link

Here's the link to the OKC AME's. There may be more in the surrounding suburbs, but it looks like all of the 4 listed do first class medicals, and 3 of 4 are pilots.

Can't speak for the ones who might use the glove though.....

"MOON RIVER....":eek: :eek: :) Fletch

http://ame.cami.jccbi.gov/amelist.asp

Here's some un-solicitied advice I feel compelled to offer. Instead of searching for the "cheap & easy" guy, do some research and find a doc whose practice is primarily as an AME. Pick someone who is board certified in aerospace medicine and attends all the CAMI conferences.

In the past, I always used the 5-minute type of AME. These types are O.K. IF you are genetically predisposed to perfect health. For the rest of us normal, aging people, the problem you may eventually run into is this; what happens when something shows up amiss at one of these easy doctors? Chances are over the years your AME has missed the early stages because he doesn't even make you take off your shirt and do a thorough exam. Then, when something does show up, this AME does not have the experience, training, desire or cajones to help you hold on to your certificate. Oh sure, his crack office staff will be happy to mail your deferal along with supporting paperwork to OKC, meanwhile, you're watching daytime television for 3 weeks to 6 months.

An AME who is board certified in aerospace medicine is much more likely to catch the little things before they become showstoppers. Even if they do discover something, they keep up with the latest certification and paperwork trends the 5 full-time flight surgeons in OKC like to see. In many cases, this type of AME will actually sign your certificate for conditions that these five-minute doctors would automatically defer.

One of these guys just saved my career. It was $180.00, and yeah... I had to drop trou, but I walked out with my certificate when I would not have with my former AME. (an easy doc) I got to spend 45 minutes talking to this guy in his office, followed by the first real exam I've had since I left the Air Force. Well worth the money. Best of all, I now have an advocate who is familiar with my family history, way better educated that his peers, who I can call for advice when I get a head cold and who is actually interested in my health and helping me to continue to fly should I ever encounter any difficulties.

One more quick example, three different 40 year-old airline pilots last month provided this guy stool samples as part of their physical. All three tested positive for pre-cancerous cells of the colon. Totally treatable, way, way early in the process. If these folks had an easy doctor, they would develop life-threatening cancer, where getting back into the cockpit takes a back seat to survival. As it is, they will get treatment, not get cancer, all while not missing a trip. Which AME's is cheaper?

I'll get off my soap box now. Best of luck. PM me if you need a starting point for your research.

Cheers!

learherkjay said:
Dr. Patzkowski in Enid is quick and cheap ($80).

I'll second that. I got three from him and it was painless. His office is in the Enid Minor Emergency Care Clinic.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back