• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Medical fails may climb

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It does come on generally in later middle age and maybe you just have a grudge against older pilots. I hope you get the chance to become one some day.

I'm 54 years old. Most would consider that to be later middle age - except for those over 60 bulletproof pilots who want to fly until they die.

You're taking this change poorly; is it safe to assume that you're obese and suffer from apnea?

Most all around athlete/pilot I've ever known was 6'1/2 tall and 245 lbs. about a 31.5 BMI. Total bada$$.

I'm 54 years old. Most would consider that to be later middle age - except for those over 60 bulletproof pilots who want to fly until they die.

You're taking this change poorly; is it safe to assume that you're obese and suffer from apnea?
Wrong assumption. I won't be in the first couple of groups, but eventually I will have to put my medical on the line for nothing. So what's next? Where should it stop? I don't think it's a crime for someone to be obese. It's not even a valid criteria by which to judge someone.

And Andy, you still haven't answered my question: What is behind your enthusiasm for unnecessarily jeopardizing someone's livelihood?

If you have no answer, or are just looking for some group to pick on, then at least be honest about it.

What happens when the Flight Surgeon of liberal choice suddenly decides that coffee and ex-wives cause too, much anxiety in the cockpit/flying by crew-members?

No more women in aviation and no more joe to wake you on a 4am show or keep you going on an overnight crossing the pond?

It all starts somewhere Gents. Welcome to a brave new world of statism by fiat from ideologues. We deserve every single thing we vote for. Just the other day, a nearby county passed ANOTHER $1.4M School "LEVY" by 2/1 in favor. Stupid, idiotic county of 30,000 people where only 2k useless voters (10% voted) failed to realize this was the 8th "LEVY" in 14 years for a total of $20 MILLION in ADDITIONAL TAXES above what was already directed toward school district resources (~$1.8M annually) for only 10,000 Students!!! do the math:

20M / 15 years = $ 1,333,333.33 additional taxes

$1,800,000.00
+$1,333,333.33
=$3,133,333.33 per year in taxes "Oh, but it is 'for' the children"???

$3,133,333.33 / 10,000 Annual Student Enrollment
=$313,333.33 per Student in taxes collected!!!

The county has 20% unemployment and the worst drop-out/graduation rate in the state.

100-1/2

And Andy, you still haven't answered my question: What is behind your enthusiasm for unnecessarily jeopardizing someone's livelihood?

Unnecessarily jeopardizing someone's livelihood? Are you an MD? Are you an expert on sleep apnea? Funny; you didn't have a problem with Tilton supporting age 65; why do you have a problem with him starting to tighten up our ridiculously loose medical standards?

I've been in favor of tighter medical standards for a very long time; this sounds like a good first step.

What Are the Side Effects of Sleep Apnea?
Answer
The side effects of sleep Apnea include cardiovascular problems, metabolic side effects, mental illness and a general poor quality of life. Untreated sleep Apnea can be dangerous and detrimental to your health if not treated by a doctor.

It's not about your(or my)livelihood. It's about our passengers safety.

I have been on both sides of this medical situation now. The U.S.A. standard of finding the easiest AME to get past and the one I currently cannot escape, the Chinese. I have mentioned this before on these boards that at least a third of the U.S. pilot force would fail a Chinese medical on several fronts. This is simply a difference in standards. I think the U.S. probably has close to the same ones on the books but they are not followed or adhered to. It's odd how it used to be the six month sim check I got excited about, now it's the medical. The running joke here is this is a six month job based entirely on the medical outcome. By the way I have been pulled off line twice due to a crazy claimed medical situation that was cleared up each time and I was continually paid each time.
I guess my opinion is that as a whole the U.S. pilot group is a reflection of our society as a whole and needs to shape up.

The Health Effects of Overweight and Obesity
Research has shown that as weight increases to reach the levels referred to as "overweight" and "obesity,"* the risks for the following conditions also increases:1
Coronary heart disease
Type 2 diabetes
Cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon)
Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
Stroke
Liver and Gallbladder disease
Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint)
Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility)

... county of 30,000 people where only 2k useless voters (10% voted) failed to realize this was the 8th "LEVY" in 14 years for a total of $20 MILLION in ADDITIONAL TAXES above what was already directed toward school district resources (~$1.8M annually) for only 10,000 Students!!! do the math:

20M / 15 years = $ 1,333,333.33 additional taxes

$1,800,000.00
+$1,333,333.33
=$3,133,333.33 per year in taxes "Oh, but it is 'for' the children"???

$3,133,333.33 / 10,000 Annual Student Enrollment
=$313,333.33 per Student in taxes collected!!!

100-1/2
OK. I did the math correctly . Instead of over $313 thousand per student, I got $313.33 per student. Would that make a difference on your opinion of your fellow voters?

Has a plane ever crashed in the United States because one of the pilots died/medicaled out in flight? Has it ever even been close?

Latest resources

Back