MDA/CHQ Transition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FR8mastr said:
More proof the companies will interpret contracts at will to suit their needs.

Absolutely right.

It's called PFM (pure f'n magic). In fact the whole concept of the U/MDA pilots falls into that category.

Whatever agreement they have (LOA91) is with U, not with Republic. Is Republic one of the companies that signed LOA91? If it isn't, then the terms of LOA91 cannot be enforced against a 3rd party that did not agree to them, after the fact.

Perhaps the J4J agreement applies to this transaction but I doubt that it does. If it doesn't, the CHQ/REP pilots have no obligation whatever to apply it to this transaction and the U/MDA pilots have no rights to anything at CHQ/REP.

Why should CHQ/REP pilots agree to "super seniority" for U/MDA pilots? Because the U/MDA pilots want it? That makes no sense to me.

That whole J4J BS was imposed on the CHQ/REP pilots in the first place. They were coerced and forced into doing it because they did not have the contractual protection against the alter ego. The U pilots didn't give a da-mn about takeing captains slots from CHQ pilots or getting paid more for the same job, both out of seniority.

Well now the CHQ pilots have the contractual protection that they need and they do not owe the U/MDA pilots anything, period.

If the company (Republic Holdings) wants to hire U/MDA pilots there is nothing that prevents them from doing so. They get hired, the go to the bottom of the list, and that's it. They are not entitled to any captain positions out of seniority and they are not entitled to higher pay than mores senior pilots on the CHQ master list.

Every captain position that they are given in preference to a qualified CHQ F/O is the equivalent of the theft of that CHQ pilots seniority. Every dollar that they are paid, above what their seniority entitles them to, is a violation of the CHQ pilots contract.

Sure I'm sorry about what has happened to the U/MDA pilots; it is sad, but it does NOT entitle them to any "special rights" at Republic Holdings that violate the contract of the pilots on the CHQ master list, and the should not expect any. When they start demanding it, they should be told to put their "demands" where the sun doesn't shine.

If U/MDA had purchased any aircraft from CHQ/REP, there is no way in he11 that the U?MDA pilots would ever give any super seniority to even 1 CHQ/REP pilot and they would not hire one, until they had recalled all of their furloughed brothers, which translates to never.

There should be no "argument" about any of this and the CHQ/REP pilots should NOT relinquish their seniority to the pilots of any other airline.

Somebody should ask those U pilots how much of their seniority did they give up when their company bought the "assets" of bankrupt EAL. How many rEAL pilots did U hire with those 757's and how many did they give captain slots, higher pay and "super seniority"?

I don't have a personal dog in this fight, I don't work for CHQ. However, the whole idea of J4J and demands of super seniority on the part of mainline pilots over regional pilots is an ALPA crock of S, should never have been accepted by ANY regional pilot group, and it should not be accepted now by CHQ pilots.

The IBT, needs to represent the interests of CHQ pilots and protect them from the attempts of ALPA pilots to take their seniority. If they don't do that, the affected CHQ pilots should take them to court and force them to provide the representation they are paid to provide.

I hope the CHQ/REP pilots will be smart enough to protect their own seniority, 'cause nobody else will.

As for "proving runs", that's garbage. Republic Holdings already operates the EMB-170 under contract with another carrier. That means they do have pilots that are qualified to do proving runs for the Republic certificate; pilots that have already done that for the same airplane under the CHQ certificate. Use them.

Sorry for butting in, but enough is enough.

Last edited:
surplus1 said:
As for "proving runs", that's garbage. Republic Holdings already operates the EMB-170 under contract with another carrier. That means they do have pilots that are qualified to do proving runs for the Republic certificate; pilots that have already done that for the same airplane under the CHQ certificate. Use them.

Makes you wonder why REP just doesn't do this.
Any CHQ pilot, Is the 170 currently short staffed? If so, how do you pull line pilots off a short staffed airplane? Cant pull sim instructor because of the full training schedule. (Guess Air Inc is right, there is a shortage of pilots. )
How long is it currently taking to get out of 170 training? Sim backed up? IOE? Fed ride?
The REP management looks like they have a problem with time to train pilots and contract obligations with Delta and UAL.

If you think the MDA pilots solidarity is for CHQ/REP, you are flying the plane from row 7.

Last edited:
Surplus since you believe that the MDA/USair scope does not apply to Republic, then by the same token the CHQ scope also does not apply to Republic.

While I agree the whole J4J thing is a joke, it does not change the fact that if it were not for the J4J thing these jets would not be at CHQ for them to be fighting about.

If the REPublic and Airways management did not agree with this scope language then why would they have asked all MDA pilots, twice so far, to take these jobs?

I dont believe anyone at MDA even wants to be on the CHQ list, we want to remain together until we can get away from CHQ thereby leaving all the AC to CHQ/REP.

FYI, under LOA 91 change of control is also triggered upon sale of more that 36.5% of the division.

FR8mastr said:
Surplus since you believe that the MDA/USair scope does not apply to Republic, then by the same token the CHQ scope also does not apply to Republic.

What an asinine statement. Read Article 1.D of the 2003 Chautauqua contract.

Chautauqua is a subsidiary of Republic Airways Holdings (RAH), just the same as Republic Airlines (which doesn't really exist yet) and now Shuttle America.

Boiler, you might want to read what I was responding to before you start insulting me. Ofcourse that statement is rediculous, so is the statement that LOA 91 does not count.

Last time I checked, calling a statement asinine wasn't an insult. Anyway...

I have not read LOA91, but how can RAH be legally bound to an agreement between US Airways and ALPA?

Boiler,
Loa 91 applies the same way that the J4J applies. If RAH wants to operate the jets for Airways, they must comply with the contract scope provisions of the Airways contract. If this were not the case CHQ or anyone else for that matter would not have J4J pilots on their property.

What is a crock is that the Republic certificate doesn't have any airplanes on it.....the airplanes are coming from U/MDA. I take it that the CHQ pilots going to Republic are getting their seniority????? If they are, then the MDA pilots should have the same deal. It is a new company/certificate, correct?

A350

A350, we are All on the same senority list....CHQ

Different employee #'s tell for which division you fly for(Shuttle/CHQ/REP)

MDA would be placed on CHQ's list...ie at the bottom of it.

Latest resources

Back