• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MDA Arbitration update???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, when you say "they" are going to lay off pilots, the "they" in question is not REP (who is buying the airplanes), it is USAirways, who currently employs the pilots that fly those airplanes. Republic isn't laying off anyone in this deal, even though they are somehow being blamed for it.

To answer your question, REP does in fact have a bunch of pilots just sitting around waiting for those 170's. It's my understanding (possibly faulty) that more than half of the pilots who are coming off the Saab arm of Shuttle America will end up at Republic flying those former USAir 170's... So that accounts for half of the hundred additional pilots (over the 150) they'd need to staff them.

i hate to ask this, but who is MDA? ive never quite understood the whole blue airplane thing. (meaning, arent there about 10 companies flying for USAir in blue planes? i dont know who all they are, or belong to)

MDA (Mid-Atlantic Airlines):

A USair Wholly owned company. The purpose was to give furloughed USair mainline Pilots jobs so they would not be on the street. That in a nut shell is who they are. I am not quite sure of the In's and outs of MDA there has been some dispute whether or not they are really owned by USair but I don't know the logistics. Sorry to any MDA Pilot If I have spoken out of context.

For the MDA Guys coming over to the Republic Airways Holdings Family. Welcome aboard!!!! I am a Shuttle America Saab Driver, who can sympathize with your anger and frustration with the whole endeavor. All 86 Saab pilots got screwed TOO!!!!!! I am sorry things worked out the way they did but there is nothing any of us can do. I will probably be displaced to the Republic side of the company and look forward to flying with you all!!!

See you on line!!!!

Airline Driver said:
MDA (Mid-Atlantic Airlines):

A USair Wholly owned company.

Incorrect. MDA is ....erh, ah.....was a Division of US Airways, operated on the AAA Ops certificate by US Airways pilots. All pilots on the property are on the US Airways Seniority list, regardless of their airline of origin. They have average a combined (Capt/FO) experience level of 30 years in Airline aviation and average 15,000 hours flight experience.

Sorry to any MDA Pilot If I have spoken out of context.
Not uncommon on these message boards. Glad I could set you straight.

Last edited:
trainer8 said:
Incorrect. MDA is ....erh, ah.....was a Division of US Airways, operated on the AAA Ops certificate by US Airways pilots. All pilots on the property are on the US Airways Seniority list, regardless of their airline of origin. ......

Care to clarify that statement a bit? I have a good friend who was a Dash 8 Capt at Piedmont and was on something called the CEL list He flowed thru to
MDA and is now an E170 F/O. Does he have an actual USAirways senority number or does he have just an MDA senority number? Thanks for the clarification.

PHXFLYR:cool:

My guess is that the U ALPA guys don't give a hoot about MDA and would just like them to go away quietly . . . . with the appropriate amount of consolation and "concern."

PHXFLYR said:
Care to clarify that statement a bit? I have a good friend who was a Dash 8 Capt at Piedmont and was on something called the CEL list He flowed thru to
MDA and is now an E170 F/O. Does he have an actual USAirways senority number or does he have just an MDA senority number? Thanks for the clarification.

Yes we have U senority numbers and will be recalled if that ever happens

Does he have an actual USAirways senority number or does he have just an MDA senority number? Thanks for the clarification.
PHXFLYR:cool:[/quote]

He have both. After furlough he will be placed in the APL (US Airways Affective Pilot List).

LearLove said:
Yes we have U senority numbers and will be recalled if that ever happens

Does the U/AWA merger affect your recall rights at all ?

Draginass said:
My guess is that the U ALPA guys don't give a hoot about MDA and would just like them to go away quietly . . . . with the appropriate amount of consolation and "concern."

Dunno about that........

Latest resources

Back