Md-80 "Mad Dog"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CitationLover said:
i had heard AA stalls an 80 once a month in cruise and that the feds were considering putting a FL290 limit on them.

this is from an AA pilot, albeit a 767 CA.

Sounds far fetched to me. I think all -80 operators have experienced high alt buffet once in a while.

Spirit had a few.... DL had a few... happens to the best of us -80 operators. The fact remains that the -80 has a crappy altitude wing and if you're not careful, it could happen.

CitationLover said:
think of it this way aa73.....you're one or a couple number away from joining paisano at our lovely company. at least you won't worry about performance in the "scope" jet (my shout out to the MIA 738 CA who loves me in ATL with that one.....he did not get my "we're doing our best Cpt. Himmler" joke)........

fyi your lucky you got away with one beer!

LOL... tell Paisan "How you doin" (with a NY accent) for me!

P.S> yes I was danged lucky... and it was three beers, not one!

taters said:
How does an MD -8x look like a mad dog??

Where do people come up with this stuff??

The MD80 seems to have lots of nick names, some airline specific: NWA called theirs "Limos" (streached DC-9) AA called them "Slicks" or "Super Snakes", various other nicknames are "Long-Beach sewer pipe" and "Long Beach Death Tube" both alluding to the place of manufacture and borrowing from the Fairchild Metro's Texas Death-Tube and San Antonio sewer pipe nicknames. Mad Dog has stuck the most and is even used by ATC on occasion.

Latest resources

Back