Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TWA Dude said:
I call it the MD-911.

I have also heard it referred to as the "MD-a lemon..." Can anyone explain to me why it was a flop in passenger service but the cargo carriers seem to like it?

PHXFLYR:cool:

I thought Mad Dog was the name of the Fortified Wine that gets me through the day.

I've heard the "Mad Dog" name came from the look of AA's MD80s with the big ol' black radomes, which when viewed from straight ahead, kind of resemble a dog's snout. Seems like they are getting rid of those radomes lately.

Not to digress, but the TWA MD-80's looked just like SpiderMan when viewed from the rear. Honest, no joke or poke.

Captain Les Abend, what a complete terd. I read where he accused the 587 pilots of screwing up. Of course the AA union did the same thing in lockstep with AMR and Airbus. Then years later, WHOOPS, hhmm, maybe there IS something wrong with the tails of the A-300's. Have any of the Hitler youth heard a retraction from APA? If I have the details wrong PLEASE correct my assumptions.

i thought the MD80 was a super 80...........

Les is a 757/767 captain for AA who is also a columnist for Flying magazine. I've never met the guy in person, but from his columns, he seems like a pompous, self-righteous a**hole.

Besides the comments on Flight 587, he is known for his columns lamenting pilots who aren't as good as he is, as well as his infamous column against arming pilots in the cockpit (what if there's a disagreement and it escalates into a shootout, etc). He's a tool, and is just one reason why Flying has gone downhill in the past few years.

EagleRJ said:
. He's a tool, and is just one reason why Flying has gone downhill in the past few years.

Abend is no Len Morgan, that's for danged sure.

Back in the day ('87-88), the ORD controllers used to call MD80's "Snakes". The UAL 737-200's were called "Guppies" and the 733's were "Super-Guppies".

But that was also when they had the "Scenic", "Wedge", "Cargo"... :( TC

Latest resources

Back