• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MD-11 hard landing @ MEX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uruguayan authorities, and Centurion MX are calling it "material failure". In other words "corrosion". The crew hasn't had any fingers pointed at them. The NTSB report will confirm this when it's released. I wonder how many old freighters out there have similar "material failures" waiting to happen?

That MD-11 is a former Gemini bird and just what I know about the 3 WOA picked corrosion is very likely. WOA spent much more than expected and repaired a lot of corrosion damage. They were not in very good shape and I am still shocked when the MBA types think getting airplanes from a financially strapped company will be smooth through a heavy check.

Uruguayan authorities, and Centurion MX are calling it "material failure". In other words "corrosion". The crew hasn't had any fingers pointed at them. The NTSB report will confirm this when it's released. I wonder how many old freighters out there have similar "material failures" waiting to happen?

Their shinny new MadDog.

OUCH! That had to hurt. Guess it was only shiny on the outside...

I suppose the DFDR will tell the tale regarding descent rates and all the other pertinent values at touchdown. I think it was a DC-10, but I was surprised at the data available for the Fed Ex plane that, uh, had some difficulty landing in MEM a while back. If that much data is available here, it may very well tell whether corrosion or other "material failure" is the culprit.

I am very familiar with the Uruguayan DGAC. (previous check pilot while delivering new jets to them for 6 months). They are a pretty interesting bunch. Alot of what is said and done has money involved. Trust me on this one.

Latest resources

Back