• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MD-11 FO new hires at UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the company is screening successful interview candidates closely for the ANC slots and seeking pilots with heavy/intl experience.

Good.

The thread title scared me.

Newhire + MD-11 = 40M+ of bent metal.

Cheers
George

World Airways puts new-hires into the right seat of MD-11s. I believe many of them have gone into that position from RJs or even (gasp) turboprops. ATA also put new-hires into L-1011s who previously had never flown anything larger than a 1900 or a Jetstream. Just noting that it can be done.

have some faith in your training department!! i don't know what the big deal is with these new hires.

If a pilot will not be able to handle the airplane he is assigned to, surely he or she will wash out during training. It happends all the time with big airlines all over the globe and here in the USA too. Direct entry F/O into a heavy jet.

The big deal is the way our system operates. The World Airways MD-11 newhires have few problems because they get to fly a lot and make landings. Our guys will be serving as relief pilots and may average less than 1 landing per bid period. If you mix in a guy without heavy jet experience it could lead to problems. As far as the international aspect goes I do not see a problem. I learned to fly overseas and do not see that big of a difference. It takes 1 or 2 trips across the Atlantic to learn the NAT intricacies and the Pacific is even easier. Flying around the S. CHina sea is not as hard as people think and many of the HK controllers are Brits.

Don't sweat it...Polar does this all the time. Polar currently has approx 50 current and qualified 747-400 pilots on furlough. Some of these guys live in ANC. I'm sure UPS will have no problem in attracting heavy, international experienced guys. Just because you're new doesn't make you INEXPERIENCED.

B-atch said:
... I'm sure UPS will have no problem in attracting heavy, international experienced guys...

Hey, I may have put on a few pounds, but I don't consider myself "heavy" yet! :)

Very true, guys transition successfully and fly the MD-11 just fine, but two things pop up.

First, the MD-11 is simply trickier to fly, period, than most other transports. Combine that with dog-doo ANC weather, and a complex international scenario off-base, it makes for a real workload.

Second, they want the FO to be a contributing member. It's possible to put a total schlub in the right seat, and if the Captain is sharp, they can operate a long time like that, but it shouldn't be the CA's job to babysit and/or instruct... the right seat guy should contribute nicely right away.

I too applaud what UPS is doing.

Just Curious

I'd like to hear how big of a difference there is between the 10 and the 11, and what if any are the shortcomings of the 11 as compared to the 10.

Not looking to start a fight, just educate myself as I have only flown one of the above, and wanted to hear some other opinions, thanks.

Latest resources

Back