• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

McCain Hates Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Then you've never met and personally talked with the guy about it.

When I was a 727 F/O for EOI in Dallas, I was 1 week on, 1 week off and was commuting up to New York in my off-weeks to fly day charter for extra $$.

Our 135 outfit got one of the DOD contracts to fly the Congressmen and Senators around on the campaign trails that year. (That was the year that Hillary Clinton ran against Congressman Lazio for the New York Senate seat - let me tell you, I flew Lazio around and had several "interesting" experiences with that woman, and they weren't pleasant, but that's a subject for another thread).

We flew McCain around all the time while he was helping other Republican candidates trying to get into office, and that sonuvab*tch was DEFINITELY anti-pilot.

We were going down to some hole-in-the-wall airport in Mississippi (didn't even have an ILS) about 3 days after he made that comment about pilots and he came up to the cockpit during flight and asked us how we were doing.

Normally I wouldn't have said anything but I was p*ssed and, without missing a beat, I said, "Well, if the F/O was making more than $20k a year and I was making more than $50k a year flying a 727, which is what I do with my full-time job, we'd probably be doing better, but then we'd be greedy, right?"

He didn't believe me, thought I was lying about my pay rates, even when I offered to show him copies of my paychecks.

Obviously I didn't fly him again, the owner took all his trips and I was happy to keep flying some of the other, very cool politicians like Lazio, Fred Thompson, etc around.

Long story short (too late), McCain would be one of THE WORST politicians you could have sitting in the White House from an airline labor standpoint.

I think he's personally envious he never made it to the "big time" in aviation and is skewed on reality and doesn't WANT to know the truth.

Just my opinion, FWIW.[/quote

Are you kidding me? This guy is a U.S. Senator, a strong contendor for the most power position in the world, and as you say "envious he never made it to the "big time" in aviation". Right, I'm sure he's sitting there on his campaign plane thinking about what a failure his life is because he's not the one driving around this lame 727 charter plane.

I voted Dem. and I will do it again. Ive only known of a few Republicans that have been pro-labor. Im all for keeping Americans working.

Uh, Yeah. Clinton, our Democratic president, pro-labor, all-around good dude, REALLY helped us out at American when we struck. He gave us all of 10 minutes before ordering us back to work with a prepared statement.

The really funny thing is that a computerized message ORDERING us back to work was fired off into our company computer system (DECS) BEFORE Klinton ever took the podium. Our company knew exactly what was going to happen. It still tastes like bitter ashes. If you can't strike, you have no power. Klinton, senators, congressmen, and judges, are/were all owned by AMR, and our ability (at AA at least) to engage in a job action, is non-existent.

Democrats are pro-labor ONLY if your labor group smuggles large satchels of cash to their headquarters.

Well said Hamburger. Theres no shortage of attacks on anyone making over 30,000 a year. (considered RICH by dems). Its an easy class envy tool to get votes. BTW, FDR was a Democrat, but with nothing in common w/ present Dems.

I can't really buy the idea that McCain is envious of pilots. The only greater ego booster than being a us senator would be making president. Cash, booze, whores, use of corporate america's jet at will............

I can't really buy the idea that McCain is envious of pilots. The only greater ego booster than being a us senator would be making president. Cash, booze, whores, use of corporate america's jet at will............

I don't think he's envious. I just think he's an ass.

I heard a rumor once that McCain's son flys for American and that they are not exactly on speaking terms.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Uh, Yeah. Clinton, our Democratic president, pro-labor, all-around good dude, REALLY helped us out at American when we struck. He gave us all of 10 minutes before ordering us back to work with a prepared statement.

The really funny thing is that a computerized message ORDERING us back to work was fired off into our company computer system (DECS) BEFORE Klinton ever took the podium. Our company knew exactly what was going to happen. It still tastes like bitter ashes. If you can't strike, you have no power. Klinton, senators, congressmen, and judges, are/were all owned by AMR, and our ability (at AA at least) to engage in a job action, is non-existent.

Democrats are pro-labor ONLY if your labor group smuggles large satchels of cash to their headquarters.

I always thought this was because the APA is not an AFL-CIO affiliate union and as such didn't contribute to his campaign. He didn't seem to have a problem letting other airline unions strike during his presidency, just the ones that didn't contribute.

Quite the 'republican' move on his part if you think about it.

I heard a rumor once that McCain's son flys for American and that they are not exactly on speaking terms.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I have heard the same rumour.
There are 2 McCains on the AA seniority list, one is a DFW MD80 capt, one is a New York 777FO.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back