Mc-130p

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

psysicx

I did a search but the info was dated. Going off of the last post do they still sit alert most of the time? Just waiting and not really flying?

Where do they sit alert? I happen to have a really good friend who's flown MC-130Ps for about 10 years and he's never sat alert...anywhere. Also no plans for them to go to ACC anytime soon.

I think your talking about HC-130 P/N. They do sit alert, but depending on the unit; you can still get a decent amount of fliying. There is one rescue unit that flys MC-130Ps, CA guard. They fly MCs in an HCs role. Rescue is returning to ACC from AFSOC, but the straight SOS papas are in AFSOC to stay.

So the MC never sits alert? The reason I said that was the old thread mentioned it. It sounds like a cool mission do refueling at night at low level.

Combat Shadow

I flew the MC-130P in AFSOC for 3 years before I switched to the MC-130H Talon II. When I was in MC-130Ps we flew alot and we also had alert commitments. Anytime you hang a helo refueling hose on a 130, you are tied to them and thus get to sit alert with them. The flying was fun - lots of NVG low level - crazy low level formation, but I must admit that I much preferred the MC-130H.

If you chose to go -Ps, you will have a good time.

Goose17

The HC-130P/N is a CSAR tanker for the CSAR helos. They primarily sit alert, but are capable of doing a wide variety of special ops missions. The MC-130P Combat Shadow is AFSOC's primary helo refueler, mostly dealing with MH-53s and Army SOF helos. In the AOR, the primary alert tanker is the HC-130P/N. The MC-130P will assume an alert role on occasion, but not for CSAR. When deployed, they primarily fly SOF missions but will sometimes tag a non-flying crew to act as an alert bird in case they need to launch for SOF related missions. The recent shakeup has to do with the HC-130's returning to ACC. A couple of years ago they switched from ACC to AFSOC, where I and many others felt they belonged. For reasons much higher in rank than me, they've been switched back to ACC. If I had my way, which I don't, the HC-130P/N would be redesignated an MC-130P Block XX and the crews would be interchangeable with some slight differences training, kind of like the difference between flying Block 30 F-16s and Block 50 F-16s.
And, yes, refueling helos at 500' AGL on NVG's at 115 KIAS is cool to do. So is the low level, the airdrops, the NVG max effort landings, refueling behind a tanker, flying formation, and working with some pretty elite SOF dudes.

And I must say I'm honored that my beloved Shadow finally has its very own FI thread. And I didn't even have to start it.

Latest resources

Back