• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MaxBlast feeling the LUV!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The system "broken" and they don't know how to fix it... This fm MIke VdV...talking to a recent training class...

We have a lot of "broken" over here, to be sure . . . . Just wish that they would have taken the best parts from both operations, but I guess that would have been too complicated.

Change is painful. :beer:

Last edited:
"but you don't have to deal with those testy ATL FAs anymore...looking for the upside here..."
Have not been all that impressed with the faproduct on the luv side either.....

Bubba,

There's no denying the innovation of SWA. There's also no denying it all happened over 30 years ago. That fact, and the degeneration of its competitors are the factors that got you here.

Actually, Don Verita did.

And it didn't "all happen" 30 years ago--leading the entire industry onto the internet happened about 15 years ago. We're still ahead there. And I would suppose that now we're 'refining' our model to account for modern realities and capture additional revenue streams.

What SWA does today will affect the next 40 years - Flying near international after near market saturation by low cost carriers. Deciding to fly to Hawaii, then taking so long that they give up. Attempting ETOPS and giving up. Buying a Res system that has been used for a decade.

I completely agree that what we do now will affect the next generation. Without question. And I also agree that there's been recent stumbles (especially IT-related) that have left money on the table. However, I don't think it's as dire as you do. Near international is NOT "saturated." There's tons of room to grow down there. Why do you think Unical was so afraid of us with an international terminal in HOU?

On the other hand, Hawaii may be somewhat saturated, but that's because it's one tiny place. (BTW, your ETOPS and Hawaii comments are the same issue, not two different ones. :) ) And the company hasn't given up on ETOPS, just put it on the back burner for after international.

My point to Don Verita wasn't that SWA was perfect, but rather that AirTran's operation is not the be-all, end-all pinnacle over Southwest that he makes it out to be. Statistics and history say that Southwest's operation works better than AirTran's did, and that his incessant bitching about -300s vs his preferred 717s, comes across like a whiny kid who didn't get his way, instead of the leader he's supposed to be.

I can tell you one thing that innovation isn't: giving up money-making planes in favor of "more technologically advanced" planes that don't make the money--just for the sake of technological innovation. And of course, Don Verita's personal comfort and ease. Because obviously, his comfort is more important than making money.

You know, I'm all for taking the best ideas and procedures of both companies to make us stronger. I really am, and I hope we do a better job of it. I'm just glad that he's not in charge of that! :)

Bubba

"I agree ...... And you're still a tiller clenching, window licking muppet. :D"

That is funny!

You still need a raise, even if you are an entitled a-hole...just sayin...

Statistics and history say that Southwest's operation works better than AirTran's did,

Bubba

Not trying to throw stones here . . . but we're hearing the exact opposite on our side of the partition . . . I would like to see the data myself. On-time, baggage, complaints, completion, FOQA and ASAP. Someone is blowing smoke on one side of the partition, or the other.

Regds,
Ty

No one on this side in mgmt wants to hear the ugly truth, the system is AFU, we have a traditional Hub and Spoke merging with a point to point type operation, we have an antiquated, rickety computer system (that can't be used to charge for bags because that would require a second key stroke, anyway the bean counters say we would lose more money by charging for bags, loss of market share), we have "mega bases" like MDW that are understaffed, we have 30 minute connects (trying to cram more customers into the system), we have 800s that can't go to HA (oops missed that boat) and the list goes on...

The hard work of MOST of our employees and the good will we have built with the flying public will hopefully see us through this time...

We still MIRACULOUSLY have the fewest customer complaints of any major (even though we suck), go figure...

Well, there are plenty of warts on this side . . .we're probably at opposite sides of a bell curve . . . we had the problems of a young, scrappy company with limited financial resources, you guys were dealing with the issues of a mature company with expensive employees and aging systems. Hopefully, they'll get the rough parts ironed out and we'll all be better off eventually . . . . I hope.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back