• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Matthew Berson Salary $33,750

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK...we're all part of the problem, I get that.

Did you see what the salaries were for Legacy Airlines pre-9/11? That was what was very appealing about this industry, along with the amount of time off every month.

UPS, SWA and FedEx are some of the best paying jobs right now. Not because they necessarily have risen that much, but because the likes of UAL, AA and DAL have retreated so much.

So back to the original point. Why dump tens of thousands of dollars into ratings to get into an industry that has sucked since 9/11? I've flown with guys who have invested close to $100K, only to be making $20-30K, with no upgrade insight, and are lucky to not be furloughed right now. I know the airline industry is cyclical, but why take the risk looking back over the past 8 years???

I've been at ASA for close to 8 years, and when I started my airline career, I never would have believed it would be the way it is right now.

9/11, bankruptcies, oil prices, bird flu, swine flu, economy tanking... why do it?

Let's see, I don't work for Pinnacle, Colgan, Great lakes, Mesa, Gulfstream, or any other of the dozens upon dozens of bottom feeder regionals. That's who I work for.

Unless the flying is to far out podunk airports in turboprops or EAS routes then all regional flying is bottom feeding. RJs fly mainline routes for less money. Bottomfeeding. You dorks need to stop comparing one regional to another as if it matters. Big ego, small genital mainline pilots took a dump on the industry when they wouldnt put RJs on property and little pukes out of school are on their knees sucking it up. (please sir, may I have another) If you are flying an RJ at mainline you would be on property and have opportunity to bid up and out. If you took a job at a regional after that company started flying jets then you are a bag of puss and you deserve to sit right seat forever and never get out. If you are over 60 and still in the way then you are no better. I have spoken and I am correct. Dont argue you with me...ever

Well, here is one important fact that I think may have been missed.

Dead Animal Operator, Department of Public Works
Washington, D.C.
$38,000

1. WTF is a dead animal operator? Seriously. WTF.

2. How does a dead animal operator make more than a pilot? Airline Pilot, Dead Animal Operator.

I need a beer.

It was a generalization for new post 911 pilots. ******************************bag.

Dead animal operators remove dead animals from the roadways.

I agree with you, I never said he is not worth the money he earns. I was simply saying that we are underpaid. I am sure he is a fine young man and a wonderful pilot. That being said I admire his courage to on the record with his salary. I am a furloughed guy from XJT, so I know the pain of making little money. I was lucky enough to go back to military gig and build some experience there while waiting for calls to start at the majors. If I see the guy in an airport somewhere I would buy him lunch. As for your question about what I have done for the industry, I would have to be honest and say nothing because I just attended ALPA meetings and informed myself about what XJT and its pilot group were doing.

I have been served, as it were.

A level-headed response and a well said one at that.

Showing up at ALPA meetings and being informed is the tough half of the bridge. Good for you, and good luck. Sounds like you and Matt have a few things in common.

Sad, the doorman at a hotel makes more than a pilot.

DOORMAN!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Yet we have a 5-page thread with guys trying to shame those of us who do NOT tip the van driver.
Wake up you tools: Quit bitching about those of us who refuse to tip the van driver who makes more than you do!

When it comes down to it, our salaries are fueled by supply and demand.

Then why aren't the salaries of upper management and the executives fueled by that as well? There are millions of Business MBA's in the USA. What does everyone major in when they are too lazy to apply themselves in anything else? You guessed it, business!! They are all a dime a dozen. Any one of these puke airline executives can be replaced with any other Business MBA and the results would be the same. The same goes for every other industry or business as well. The only things that are fueled by supply and demand are goods and services. Oh and how about all these actors and actresses? Every valet, waitress, waiter, pole dancer etc etc in Hollywood is a wannabe actor or actress or some other on screen personality. And any of them can do just about the same job that these arrogant, self righteous useless pukes that merely "entertain" us do. Explain that!

I think they want to be pilots so bad that they complete the schooling without doing the research into what their pay/lifestyle will be like for the first few years as an F/O and even in some cases as a CPT.

Why does everyone think they are only going to spend 3 years at most in the right seat? How many times must I tell you folks about the 10 year upgrades at not only Horizon, not only Eagle, but also at Comair. I wouldn't be surprised you will see 10 years at ASA. The only airlines you may get a 3 year or less upgrade are at the lowest of low regionals such as mesux, blowjet, colgan, Lynx, and a few more scum suckers. Any airline that one can even slightly endure is not going to provide anything better than 5 years, and most will be pushing or exceeding 10! Wake up folks.

One way is to require any new regional contract to contain a stipulation that states if a pilot does not have the seniority to upgrade to Captain after 3 years (a reasonable amount of time to "pay your dues") then the pay rate goes to 4th year CA and remains frozen there until the FO has the seniority to upgrade to CA. Then his pay will snap up to whatever year his seniority is at the CA pay rate. For some airlines this would be a moot point as you can upgrade by the time you reach your 3rd year. But it would allow those who are rotting away in the right seat at the aforementioned airlines to at least earn a livable wage, one that can at least be considered within the realm of professional.

It's a shame how I am the only one who at least voices ideas on how to correct the situation. All the rest of you can do is throw blame around. News flash, we are all to blame. From the top down. Now lets fix it.

Latest resources

Back